Modify value in "Remove black bars"

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

Hollywood

Modify value in "Remove black bars"

Post by Hollywood »

As I understand it, there is no manual adjustment for "Remove black bars". At least, I did not find it.

For example, I have some 1080p videos which needed to trimmed by 141 pixels at the top and the bottom but because a mark was added in the top border, the system is only seeing a border of 7 pixels. Trying to "resize" the image resulted is a distorded (stretched) image while I really want a resulting 1920x798 pixels. I also have a video where the system suggest to remove left and right border where there are none.

Is there a procedure/method/trick somewhere that I could use to input the correct values?

Otherwise, may I suggest that you add a way to evaluate black bars based on a user-selected image ?
Hollywood

Re: Modify value in "Remove black bars"

Post by Hollywood »

I tested the beta 2.0.0.54 as someone had a similar problem and this avenue was suggested.

Still the same problem, the borders are cut but the image is stretched to the size of the first value given by the "Remove black bars".
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Hello,

You want to click on the advanced edit button once you've loaded your video file to convert.
In the Advanced editing window you want to click on the Video fit method and there change the fit method to "user defined" or "user defined (keep aspect ratio kept)".

in my example you can see that -150 is not enough to crop out the logo in the upper left hand corner. I will also want to crop possible the left and write as well in order the keep the right aspect ratio.
Attachments
Snap7744.jpg
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Thanks for the answer, but I am afraid I was not clear enough.

Lets take a movie, select a profile and the main screen is saying: H264, 1280x720, 5,33Mb/s, 23,98Fps. And that's ok.
Using "Advanced edit", pressing "Remove black bars" detect 7 pixels up and down. Save and close
Now the main screen is saying: H264, 1280x706, 5,22Mb/s, 23,98Fps. Effectively slicing 7 pixels top and bottom. Still ok.

Using your method (which is what I was doing), selecting "Fit method: User defined" and selecting -90 for top and bottom border. Save and close.
Now the main screen is saying: H264, 1280x720, 5,33Mb/s, 23,98Fps. In fact the image will be 1280x540 but stretched to 1280x720. Not what I want.

As a final exemple,the same base movie...
Using "Advanced edit", pressing "Remove black bars" detect 7 pixels up and down.
Adjusting value to -90 top and bottom, save and close.
Now the main screen is saying: H264, 1280x706, 5,22Mb/s, 23,98Fps.
The manual adjustment was NOT kept for the final size, it shoud have been 1280x540, the result I am looking for.

And my question was: if it is not a bug, what should I do from that point?
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

What conversion profile are you using?
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Either "MKV - Audio remux" or "MKV (H264+AAC)".
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Should I submit a problem report ?
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

We will work on it and when a new version offers a solution I will inform you. bug report already created http://bugs.vso-software.fr/view.php?id=12157
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Thanks, I be waiting.
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Four months later, do you now have a time frame for this correction ?
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

That suggestion not yet been integrated. I'm brought forward the issue again to the developers.
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Thanks for your answer.

With all due respect, I do not see it as a "suggestion" but as a bug that should be addressed. Right now, I encountered that problem with more than 30 files. It is not something that should be developped but something that sould be corrected.