How can I speed up my encoding process?

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

newbieencoder

How can I speed up my encoding process?

Post by newbieencoder »

Hello all,

Sorry in advance if this has been answered 100,000 times but I need help. I am new to using software that encodes video/audio files and then burning a DVD from those files. My problem is that this process (especially encoding the video) is SLOW SLOW SLOW on my current PC! (It is a very old desktop with Pentium 4 and 1.5 GB ram. It currently takes me 4-6 hours or more to make one DVD. I think my frame rate was 6-9 f/s when encoding.) Yeah that bad! ) I am looking into getting a brand new one built to help with this, and for every day computing. I do not do any video games, or video editing or anything else that would be intensive.

For my new computer I am looking at one with : A corei5 processor, (possibly the k version so I can overclock if that will help much,) socket LG 1151 style board, 8 GB DDR4 2133 RAM, and a Samsung 9500 M.2 SSD hard drive.

I realize a i7 processor is best, but I really cant afford that one, hence why I mentioned i5 processor

Finally my question is what helps speed up this encoding process? I have heard its mainly about a powerful CPU, and enough RAM. I have also heard that having a good video card helps. I cant actually see any video during the process, so I am not sure if video card is a factor? I was plan on using the Iris Pro 530 integrated video on the CPU if that would work well. I would rather not have to spend the extra $70 on a motherboard to handle the video card, and $ for an additional video card if it really is not going to make much difference. Also is the a real noticeable difference with over clocking the CPU and encoding video times? Again extra $ for the k version, and board that you can overclock with Z something?

Thanks all!
JJ
VSO Moderators

Re: How can I speed up my encoding process?

Post by JJ »

If you convert only to DVD then gfx card is not improving results.
If you convert to new formats then gfx card is huge improvement as it can convert really fast to new formats.
Almost any low end GFX card can convert much faster than CPU.

CPU is main factor with DVD encoding, but overclocking it is not always helping - it might cause instability in system.
Lot of fast RAM with SSD help a lot, I would get at least 16GB RAM.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
newbieencoder

Post by newbieencoder »

Thanks a lot for your guidance! I figure I was on the right track with looking into a fast processor, SSD hard drive, and RAM for my purposes, now I am more clear on which direction to take.
newbieencoder

Post by newbieencoder »

Follow up question:

When choosing a motherboard, I was reading that a mb with chipset H1110 may be slower than one with chipset H1170 for example, as chipset H1110 has DMI 2.0 versus the other chipset has DMI 3.0 and more PCIE lanes. Would I notice a speed difference?

Thanks
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

Most likely not.
PCI lanes affect more when you have GFX card(s) installed with M.2 storage.
Speed difference is not really noticeable with your system setup.

If you are planning to add GFX card etc. then better chipset is worth it.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!