Simultaneous processing

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

Ch3vr0n

Simultaneous processing

Post by Ch3vr0n »

According to my GPU specs it has 4 GPC's (Graphic Processing Clusters) and 8 Streaming Multiprocessors (SMX), and 4 memory controllers. Yet CXV only picks 2 by default. Why does it do that and can i increase it to 4 or 8 to maximize performance ?
VSO NL-BE Freelance Translator

Desktop: Project Phoenix
OS: Win 10 Pro x64 || MB: Asus Maximus VIII Formula || CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k || CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i v2 || RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 A Gaming || Case: CM Cosmos II || Sound: Logitech Z906 || Screen: Asus VG278HR
Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO || Int HDD 1&2: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB || Int HDD 3: Seagate ST2000DM001 || Int HDD 4: Samsung F1 Spinpt. 1TB
Op. Dr. 1: LG BH16NS40 || Op. Dr. 2: LG BH10LS30 || Op. Dr. 3: LG GH20NS10 || Ext HDD 1&2: 2x WD MyBook 2TB || Ext HDD 3: Seagate ST320006
cedric
VSO Team Member

Re: Simultaneous processing

Post by cedric »

Hello,

The number of 2 hardware encoding instances is only a default value. (some cheaper cards can only convert one 1080p conversion at once)

You can try to increase this setting as long as the encoding start...

Regards,
Ch3vr0n

Post by Ch3vr0n »

yeah but to which one. 4 or 8 (by card specs)
VSO NL-BE Freelance Translator

Desktop: Project Phoenix
OS: Win 10 Pro x64 || MB: Asus Maximus VIII Formula || CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k || CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i v2 || RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 A Gaming || Case: CM Cosmos II || Sound: Logitech Z906 || Screen: Asus VG278HR
Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO || Int HDD 1&2: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB || Int HDD 3: Seagate ST2000DM001 || Int HDD 4: Samsung F1 Spinpt. 1TB
Op. Dr. 1: LG BH16NS40 || Op. Dr. 2: LG BH10LS30 || Op. Dr. 3: LG GH20NS10 || Ext HDD 1&2: 2x WD MyBook 2TB || Ext HDD 3: Seagate ST320006
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

You can't evaluate the number of maximum simultaneous instances only by checking your graphic card specs.
This max number is dependent of output resolution (720p, 1080p...), graphic card memory USABLE when starting the conversion, and a lot of another things...

You must increase the number of instances until the conversions doesn't start.

Regards,
Brainiarc7

Post by Brainiarc7 »

Ch3vr0n wrote:According to my GPU specs it has 4 GPC's (Graphic Processing Clusters) and 8 Streaming Multiprocessors (SMX), and 4 memory controllers. Yet CXV only picks 2 by default. Why does it do that and can i increase it to 4 or 8 to maximize performance ?
Hello there,

Allow me to correct the answer provided by Cedric, because it's wrong.

With hardware accelerated encoding on your Nvidia Kepler GPU, you're not using CUDA, but NVENC.
NVENC is a dedicated Silicon Intellectual property Core by Nvidia that offers both fixed and programmable function video encode, without using your GPU's cores.
It's an equivalent to Intel's QuickSync on Sandybridge and beyond and AMD's Video Coding Engine (VCE) on GCN-series GPUs.

For Nvidia, NVENC sessions are limited to 2 (simultaneous encodes) in consumer GPUs.
In Quadro GPUs, you can have as many simultaneous encodes as you wish as long as VRAM permits.

Similar limitations exist on equivalent SIP blocks, each with it's limiter.
For example:

1. With Intel, the maximum you can have is ~4 , and this number corresponds to the maximum hardware decode sesssions supported by the IGP via DXVA and Intel's MSDK MFT filters.
2. With AMD, this number is ~ 2 , and again, only in hybrid encode path (where both GPU shaders + VCE IL work together, ~4), otherwise, in Desktop Encode Mode (default), this is again limited to ~2.

Hope this clarifies the situation for you.