Forced Subs with new version

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

Beats

Forced Subs with new version

Post by Beats »

I recently purchased ConvertXToVideo Ultimate 1 and had figured it out for what I needed it for. Since the latest patch I cannot figure out how to make a subtitle forced. In the previous version there was an option to make a subtitle "default" which burnt it to disc as forced. (Or something like this)

I can no longer find this option. I am currently trying to convert an .MKV file to NTSC Dvd. There are 3 internal(?) subtitles in the .MKV that work just fine when played through VLC. #1 is the one I want forced which just displays the english translations over top of foreign parts, #2 is the general english sub, and #3 I don't need which is the SDH sub.

When I start setting up the disc to burn I can manage to uncheck #3 sub from the list and get the disc burned with just the subs I want but I can't figure out for the life of me how to make #1 sub forced. In VLC player the video plays with it forced by default so when I couldn't find the option in ConvertXToVideo I thoght it might just make it forced as well... but it didn't.

The only thing I see is in the general settings screen under subtitles where there is an option to add a n additional forced subtitle. Since I already have the subs and they work just fine.. this option doesn't seem to apply. How do I make a subtitle forced when it is already in the .MKV file? Thanks!
Beats

Re: Forced Subs with new version

Post by Beats »

Anyone? Seems odd to have no responses after this long I really don't mean to be rude, I'm just at a loss as to how to do this.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hello,

Are you talking about "forced subtitles" or "default subtitles"?

- Forced subtitles are subtitles always displayed on screen (even if no subtitle track is selected).
This type of subtitle are flagged in source file (DVD Video or Blu-ray) and can be imported in ConvertXtoVideo using the "Add a forced subtitle track)

- Default subtitle is the subtitle track selected by default when you start to play a DVD Video or Blu-ray/AVCHD (I think that is your case?)

If the last case is what you want, you will found this new feature in last official version (1.6.0.30).
I added the ability to set the default subtitle stream using right click on subtitle tracks (advanced video editor)...

I'm waiting for your feedback...

Regards,
Beats

Post by Beats »

Thank you Cedric for your help.

You were correct in my misuse of the term "forced" when I should have said "default". I followed your instructions and did the right click option on the subtitle in the advanced menu and set the subtitle that translated the foreign parts to English as default. All is well. It wasn't at all clear to me that the right clicking was an option. I was looking for something more apparent like a box to check or a drop down menu. The function to set a subtitle as default works great once I learned to do it but it wasn't very user friendly as a new user in my opinion. I now know how to do it, so thanks for the help.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hello,

I don't want to set the "Default subtitle" option more visible because it only affect some output profiles (DVD Video, Blu-ray, MKV...) and only in some cases (when the subtitle is not merged in video)
I will add a hint under subtitle tracks to inform user...

Regards,