MediaInfo reports different settings were used

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

windale

MediaInfo reports different settings were used

Post by windale »

MediaInfo still says that the H264 Profile is "Main" but in CXV Custom Profile I have it set to "High". (when using Custom Profile, Software Encoding).

Please add option to turn off deblocking in Custom Profile. I tried using your Superfast preset but it turns off CABAC and increases the filesize for no reason. Handbrake doesn't. You're obviously using modified H264 presets.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Re: MediaInfo reports different settings were used

Post by cedric »

You're obviously using modified H264 presets.
Another post without checking if it's the truth! I'm a little tired...

The only one problem I found in presets is the CABAC encoder disabled in Superfast preset, fixed for next versions.

Please , take a look there and let me know if deblocking filter is a part of H264 presets or not, thank you.

http://dev.beandog.org/x264_preset_reference.html

Regards,

PS: can't reproduce your main/high profile problem, please post your custom profile
windale

Post by windale »

It must be something else that's making your converter slow.

Handbrake Settings
Handbrake Settings.jpg
Handbrake No Deblocking.jpg
Handbrake No Deblocking MediaInfo.jpg
ConvertXtoVideo Settings (Custom Profile, Software Encoding)
CXV Settings.jpg
CXV Settings.jpg (38.78 KiB) Viewed 7561 times
CXV MediaInfo.jpg
Handbrake took 1m21s
ConvertxtoVideo took 3m22s

As you can see your converter H264 Profile is set to 'High' but MediaInfo says it's 'Main'.
I don't see any difference in quality between Handbrake and CXV, just yours takes longer for still unknown reasons. I obviously used a short clip to quickly show the difference, longer clips can seriously add more time on CXV.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Do you selected Constant Quality (CRF) in your ConvertXtoVideo custom profile?
Another point you maybe missed is the rate control mode... :roll:
Handbrake uses CRF as default (that's why you can't specify a custom size), when ConvertXtoVideo uses Target bitrate as default.

Regards,
windale

Post by windale »

Yes I used the same settings, forgot to post the picture (I had to wait because my internet just went off).
CXV Settings CRF.jpg
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Please can you try with the last beta version: http://forums.vso-software.fr/post93183.html#p93183

Regards,
windale

Post by windale »

Your converter keeps REMUXING the video (in Custom Profile) even when I have it turned off.

Also, the (Custom Profile) Rate Factor (CRF) is reset when reloading the program (and possibly other options as well).
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Also, the (Custom Profile) Rate Factor (CRF) is reset when reloading the program (and possibly other options as well).
I can't reproduce your problem...
Can you explain step by step how to reproduce?

Thank you.
windale

Post by windale »

cedric wrote:
I can't reproduce your problem...
Can you explain step by step how to reproduce?

Thank you.
If I load your program, goto Custom Profile, set my preferences (e.g. CRF 20) and save it. If I exit your program and reload it, go back to Custom Profile some of the options are reset.
CXV Settings CRF Reset.jpg
Also, when restarting the program, Custom Profile, the advanced tabs are shown even when I have a H264 preset selected.
CXV Settings.jpg
windale

Post by windale »

The above post still happens on v1.5.0.32 Custom Profile, Software Encoding (CRF is reset to 26 when loading program and advanced options are visible when H264 preset is already selected). If I choose a different H264 preset then the advanced tabs go away. This happens every time the program is re-loaded.

It converts a little bit faster now (but still much slower than Handbrake). The options you enabled for the H264 presets hardly make any difference at all.
Newly Added Don't make much difference.jpg
Newly Added Don't make much difference.jpg (16.57 KiB) Viewed 7495 times
The Format Profile now says 'High' like it should because thats what I have selected but now the References Frames has gone from 4 to 3 ? I'm using exactly the same options as before.

v1.5.0.30
v1.5.0.30.jpg
v1.5.0.32
v1_5_0_32.jpg
Also your program gives no information in MediaInfo on what H264 settings were used (like other H264 converters do e.g. Handbrake).
Copnm

Post by Copnm »

Hello,

I too would love to see all the parameters used in H.264 conversions for reference.

Thanks for reading,
Neil M
ALWAYS search the forums and read announcements. They will most likely have the answer(s) you are looking for.
windale

Post by windale »

Most of what I reported in this thread still happens in v1.5.0.33.

1) Custom Profile, Rate Control CRF is reset to 26 every time you load the program. (See screenshot above).

2) Custom Profile, Custom H264 tabs (Motion Estimation & Advanced) are displayed every time you load the program even if a H264 preset (e.g. Very Fast) is selected. If you reselect the preset then the tabs disappear. (See screenshot above).

3) Custom Profile, Software Encoding, when using a H264 preset (e.g. Very Fast) MediaInfo now reports 3 Reference Frames when it should (and used to say on previous versions) 4 Reference Frames. (See screenshots above).
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hello windale,
1) Custom Profile, Rate Control CRF is reset to 26 every time you load the program. (See screenshot above).
Can't reproduce...
2) Custom Profile, Custom H264 tabs (Motion Estimation & Advanced) are displayed every time you load the program even if a H264 preset (e.g. Very Fast) is selected. If you reselect the preset then the tabs disappear. (See screenshot above).
Fixed for the next version
3) Custom Profile, Software Encoding, when using a H264 preset (e.g. Very Fast) MediaInfo now reports 3 Reference Frames when it should (and used to say on previous versions) 4 Reference Frames. (See screenshots above).
I think this problem was related to 2). Like advanced options was displayed even if a preset was selected, encoder used the preset default and overwritten you custom value.

Regards,
windale

Post by windale »

cedric wrote:Hello windale,
Can't reproduce...
I can reproduce it every time, and it seems to happen with all the Rate Control Modes.

Close CXV
Open CXV
Goto Custom Profile and click on the Rate Control tab.
All the Rate Control Modes are at value 26.
Rate Control - Constant Quality CRF Reset to 26.jpg
Rate Control - Constant Quantizer Reset to 26.jpg
Rate Control - Target Bitrate Reset to 26.jpg
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

If your custom profile doesn't use CRF or CQ, the factor values are set to default values, it's a normal behaviour.
If you set a CRF or CQ factor in your custom profile, close the editor then reopen it and the factor is back to default, there's a problem (that's what I tried to reproduce).
The program will not use your last factor value as default, it's not safe.

Regards,
windale

Post by windale »

cedric wrote:If your custom profile doesn't use CRF or CQ, the factor values are set to default values, it's a normal behaviour.
If you set a CRF or CQ factor in your custom profile, close the editor then reopen it and the factor is back to default, there's a problem (that's what I tried to reproduce).
The program will not use your last factor value as default, it's not safe.

Regards,
I don't understand what you're trying to say. I use CRF 20 and save the profile. When I exit the program and go back to the custom profile it says its 26 again ! This never used to happen on previous versions.

I have my Custom Profile set at CRF 20
Rate Control - Constant Quality CRF 20.jpg
I save the profile.

Close CXV Completely and reload it. Custom Profile Rate Factor now looks like this
Rate Control - Constant Quality CRF Reset to 26.jpg
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Please, can you do a quick test:

Close Cxv, rename your folder C:\ProgramData\VSO\ConvertXtoVideo Ultimate\1\Lang to C:\ProgramData\VSO\ConvertXtoVideo Ultimate\1\Lang_old

then retry to reproduce your problem...

Thank you.
windale

Post by windale »

cedric wrote:Please, can you do a quick test:

Close Cxv, rename your folder C:\ProgramData\VSO\ConvertXtoVideo Ultimate\1\Lang to C:\ProgramData\VSO\ConvertXtoVideo Ultimate\1\Lang_old

Thank you.
It still keeps going back to 26.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

No problems here, works as expected.
Tried with CRF and CQ settings, set them to different values, saved custom setting, closed CxV, opened it and checked on those values - they were like I set them.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
windale

Post by windale »

windale wrote:
cedric wrote:Please, can you do a quick test:

Thank you.
It still keeps going back to 26.
Custom Profile, Software Encoding

Are you still working on this because v1.5.0.34 even weirder things are happening and it won't convert (It says 'An error occured while converting').
Using the same clip as before (MP4 VP9 720p) it now shows this in the encoding screen
Clip info.jpg
Clip info.jpg (15.8 KiB) Viewed 7435 times
Rate Control Mode CRF still says 26, when I change it to 20 and save the profile it changes to Constant Quantizer 26 (in a different Font) !!!!!!
Info.jpg
Info.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 7435 times
I just installed v1.5.0.30 and it works without any of these problems.