Video Quality

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

OisteinR

Video Quality

Post by OisteinR »

Video Converter is now starting to act like a real pro converter.
What VSO needs now is to let us get video with better quality.
If I convert with my TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 I get the same quality at half the size.
...on the other side, TMPGEnc has no option to make MVK-files with more than one audio channel.

Hope this is something you will work on.....
cedric
VSO Team Member

Re: Video Quality

Post by cedric »

Hello OisteinR,

Have you tried the new added option "Video quality factor" available in last beta versions?
This setting will allow you to apply a factor to default VSO computed bitrate, and reduce the output file size (but decreasing video quality).
Can you try by decreasing this factor to reach TMPGenc output file size then compare video quality? (for same input file/output format)

I'm waiting for your feedback...

Thanks.
OisteinR

Post by OisteinR »

Hi Cedric
Yes, I've tried the "Video quality factor" from the latest beta.
I've tried in every way, and if I make the file size equal, the difference in quality is huge... :cry: I have tried without audio and subtitles too.
I don't know what TMPGEnc is doing, but if I convert the same file to the same size, VSO takes ~15% CPU and TMPGEnc uses ~80%. Still TMPGEnc need about 50% more time to do the same job, but with excellent quality.

Regards
OisteinR
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Can you give me more details about your tests please?

- Input file properties (resolution, codecs, container)
- Output profile (resolution, codec, container)
- Output files properties (from VC1 and TMPGEnc): file size, resolution, codec...

I will check what I can do to improve video quality,

Thanks!
OisteinR

Post by OisteinR »

Yes, I will give you more information.....tomorrow...

/OisteinR
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hello OisteinR,

I implemented a new option called "Best video quality setting" in last beta version.
This option (when enabled) use some fine tuning encoder settings I worked on on last days.
I wanted you try it to give me your video quality results if you have time.
I need to fix a problem in first 20s of the encoded video, but the rest of video is really better with this setting ON here.

I'm waiting for your feedback...

Have a nice week-end.
Thank you!
OisteinR

Post by OisteinR »

Hello Cedric
I've tried the new setting, and it improves the result slightly.
The main problem with the quality is CUDA. If I turn it off, I can get decent results, but not as good as others.
Here's an example of 3min45s, quality sorted. All converted at 1200Mbps

Range Product Time Size Quality
1. TMPGEnc 43s 39,5Mb Excellent
2. Handbrake 15s 36,8Mb Very Good
3. VSO 1m15s 43,8Mb Good No CUDA, Best Video
4. VSO 55s 43,8Mb Good No CUDA
5. VSO 16s 45,3Mb Unusable CUDA, Best Video
5. VSO 15s 45,4Mb Unusable CUDA

As yoiu can see, the CUDA is the main problem, but looking at the Handbrake result it is possible to solve it.
It looks like TMPGEnc is ignoring the CUDA settings

Regards
OisteinR
Echuir

Post by Echuir »

I am having huge issues with quality of video now. Before the latest beta I would get good to excellent quality video. Now I get poor even if I adjust the single file quality/size settings it will only apply them to the current project. As soon as I start another project or close and reopen the program I get poor quality no matter what the setting is. I have go in and adjust the setting then it will read the quality setting. It's like it defaults to the worst setting then when I move the slider it will "read" the quality setting.

EDIT: Ok in order to get a quality setting to stick I have to load the video then move the slider and apply to all. That makes the quality settings stick. Then you have to do it again for each project.