Suggestion : Maximum filesize in custom profiles

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

steptoe

Suggestion : Maximum filesize in custom profiles

Post by steptoe »

Is it possible to add a couple of extra options to control roughly what the maximum filesize will be and also an option to set what percentage of the original filesize the output file will be, that way the bitrate will be set to try and match the filesize or percentage you specified in the custom profile

This will make it easier if you are trying to reduce filesizes, but not have to work out what the bitrate will be to achieve this

For example, converting a 20GB blu-ray main movie rip to a more manageable size like 7.5GB per movie, or converting episode rips for use on mediaplayers you could set the percentage to say 75% of the original size

Thanks
cedric
VSO Team Member

Re: Suggestion : Maximum filesize in custom profiles

Post by cedric »

Hello steptoe,

I understand your request, but I don't know how to implement it by keeping it simple (and safe!) for users.
Like you know all video/audio codecs have different efficiency, and I can't use same output file size target with different encoder profiles.
If the user request a specific target size but encode using Mpeg2 then H264 codecs, results (video quality) will be really differents.

If you fix an output target size, video quality will be dependent of:
- efficiency of video codec used
- efficiency of audio codec used
- number of audio tracks selected
- duration of input file

I think the option you're requesting is adapted for your specific case, but can result by weird results in major cases (video with different duration, number of audio tracks available, different selected profile...)

Video converter compute automatically an average video bitrate (displayed in Video editor/ video tracks properties) by taking in account all these parameters and giving a good size/video quality ratio.

The only one setting I can add is a bitrate/quality coefficient that will be applied to bitrate computed by Video converter.
That mean for example: if coefficient is set to 75% (from 50% to 150% range), if Video converter compute a video bitrate to 5000Kbit/s, video bitrate for conversion will be set to 3750Kbit/s (and output file size will be reduced of 25%)

Thanks!
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Many thanks, but what about an option that enables you to set the maximum filesize. I agree the percentage suggestion is awkward as there are too many variables

That way the bitrate is worked out from that filesize, something similiar that is used in your blu-ray/dvd ripper software if you choose a custom output filesize then the ripper tries to match that maximum filesize (assuming that the original filesize is bigger than that suggested otherwise there is no compression needed)
Trezona

Post by Trezona »

Hello,

I would also like to be able to limit the file size!

I mean there must be a way to do this. If you dont mind me saying that i often download movies from the net that have been ripped from dvd
and reduced to 700mb. And the quality is still very good!!

This is what i am looking for to do!

Clive.
Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral »

Some other converters (one in particular) allow you to define your file size.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hello all,

Video converter allow users to fix the output file size, but maybe this option is not visible enough.
To fix the file size of a video, open the Video editor (double click or simple click on right button).
Click on the video track to open the video properties editor.
Select the quality advisor tab (with the gauge picture).
In this section, you can modify the video bitrate to reach the file size you want.

Regards,
Trezona

Post by Trezona »

Ahh thanks Cedric,

That is what i was looking for!

I guess i should have opened my eyes a little bigger :D

Now i'm happy! :P