Slow?

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

JoeC.

Slow?

Post by JoeC. »

I purchased the program this morning and am running a test conversion. It's a 422 MB .wmv file converting to Apple Ipad H264 format.

Has been running an hour and has only converted 18%. Program says it will be another 4 hours to complete.

Does that sound normal? Been a ConvertXtoDVD guy for years but I'm sick of fooling with discs and DVD players. This is my first attempt at converting files to store on my tablet. Is there any setting I can tinker with to speed it up?

I'd be happy to just ignore it and do some work while it runs, but it's effectively frozen every other program on my PC.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Re: Slow?

Post by Cougar_II »

Hello JoeC,

I am quote happy with the speed I get running on my Intel i7-920 (8 cores CPU).

What streams are in your .wmv file ?

I have an nVidia 9800+ card and with Cuda I get like 250fps-280fps speed conversions on most of the stuff.

Then again, depending on what streams are inside the containers (.avi / .mp4 / .mkv) and to what output you selected, speed will be different.
VSO Software Golden Membership Proud Owner / VSO Software Beta Tester
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hello,

If you have a nvidia card with cuda, try by enabling both hardware decoding/encoding.
If you can check the options that mean your graphic card is able to use it.

I m waiting for your feedback

Regards
JoeC.

Post by JoeC. »

Thanks for your replies.

Looks like I have an Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 card, but I don't know what Cuda is. Googled it, but still don't understand. :oops:

Conversion finished and looks good. Just takes longer than I expected. Good enough for me.
frozenfx60

Post by frozenfx60 »

JoeC. wrote:Thanks for your replies.

Looks like I have an Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 card, but I don't know what Cuda is. Googled it, but still don't understand. :oops:

Conversion finished and looks good. Just takes longer than I expected. Good enough for me.

You graphics card does not possess "Cuda" processing cores, there for you cannot use that option
Hardware Acceleration is NOT just for slower machines.
intel core i7 2600K, nVidia GTX 680, pci-e gen 2.0 motherboard converts 20% faster with Hardware Acceleration enabled.
Just ask me for proof

You are not a human being here unless you provide a log file proving you are a human being.