Strange behavior when adding files to be converted

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

abekl

Strange behavior when adding files to be converted

Post by abekl »

I'm using version 1.0.0.20.

When adding several movie files at once to be converted, the program uses the first one as the Movie container and then adds all the remaining files as parts (indented under the main movie container). This is unintuitive behavior. The correct behavior is for the program to add the movie files in Batch mode, that is, each movie file as it's own main movie, with the option to manipulate the tree and indent files to be parts as need be.

What do you think?
cedric
VSO Team Member

Re: Strange behavior when adding files to be converted

Post by cedric »

Hello abekl,

I don't understand what you mean.
All imported files are totally independent and are converted separately.
If you want to convert 2 movies in one file (merge), you need to import the first file then add the second by using video editor/timeline.
To open video editor double click on movie in tree or use right button displayed on each item in tree.

The only one case where all movies in tree are converted in one structure is with DVD video output format.

Regards,
abekl

Post by abekl »

Cedric,

I understand what you are saying,that the individual files will be treated as independent. So why then do they appear in the tree as indented under the first file? Is that just a mistake in the interface?

Look at the attachment I included to see an example of the behavior I'm describing.
Attachments
These movies were added in a batch. They appear "linked" but should be independent. The tree should reflect their independence.
These movies were added in a batch. They appear "linked" but should be independent. The tree should reflect their independence.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Oh ok!

The "first file"/ top level node is only the project name and use the first added file name as default.
Maybe should i use "my project" as default but that will result by replacing previous converted projects because this project name is used as output file path for single files (avi, mkv, mp4...) and used as title in DVD menus.

Regards,

Edit: you can change the project name (and output path) by using "F2" key...
abekl

Post by abekl »

OK. Now we're understanding one another.

I looked at some old MS interface developer documentation, and the best advice I was able to get from it is that you should use Project1, Project2, etc.. and let the file overwrite warning take care of the name collision. Seems a little inelegant to me.

Hope that's helpful.

Regards,

Abekl
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

I will add a setting to allow the user to select the default project name generation method:
- use first imported file name
- generate "project 1, project 2..." regarding already converted project
- generate project name using current date/time

Thanks!
abekl

Post by abekl »

Sounds good to me!
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

New setting implemented in last public version (1.0.0.22)...

Regards,