SPDIF support

bluray player, video player, audio player, free video player, free media player

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, alexia, Forum admin

elliott78212

SPDIF support

Post by elliott78212 »

I love this software I even think the video looks better in it that most of my other players however I cannot get it to play AC3 5.1 out through my spdif to my sound system thats how I have my media center hooked up as mine doesn't recieve through the hdmi. Any Chance we get a fix for that. Overall this player is now the only one I have installed on my laptop plays everything beautifully
Claire
VSO Team Member

Re: SPDIF support

Post by Claire »

Thanks for your feedback. Next week we should be able to get back to you with more info.
felicia
VSO Team Member

Post by felicia »

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Do you mean you don't get any audio, or that the output remains in stereo ?

Best regards,

Felicià
gfoulke

Post by gfoulke »

I am surprised no one has followed up on this. Like the OP, I really appreciate VSO media player and its ability to directly play a Blu-Ray file structure. However, I have a digital surround-sound system, and enjoy listening to multi-channel sound. Most other video players have the ability to take the digital multi-channel surround-sound from the video file and send it, in its digital format through the SPDIF (digital) output to my surround-sound receiver.
If you could make VSO do this, it would really be great.
Thanks
Glenn
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

This issue sounds simple and actually is simple, problem might be that programmers might have not even realized the way sounds has to be routed in some systems.

Currently the most common way (and official to keep standards) is to send video and audio thru HDMI. This requires compatible systems from computer to amplifier and to display. With HDMI 1.3 and later it is possible to send all data thru HDMI.

Some systems do not have HDMI 1.3, and they can not send DTS/Dolby thru it. They can only send PCM audio, so most users have set their systems to send DTS/Dolby to optical audio connector and from there to amplifier/display. This kind of connection usually is not capable of playing HDCP-protected content.

Felicia: just add settings to allow usage of any audiodevice that is installed, this way user just needs to set VSO Player to use what ever configuration they have. This of course might break HDCP-chain, but it is up to user.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
gfoulke

Post by gfoulke »

I have a RCA type digital output connector on my PC. My video is DVI not HDMI, and I'm sure it does not have HDCP capability.
As I see it, HDCP capability is pretty much irrelevant for VSO MP. It does not decript the disk, and any software that does (I have AnyDVD HD), will strip HDCP protection.
If I had purchased my PC in the last year or so, it might have an HDMI output with HDCP capability. But likely, most of your users don't have this.
Please include the digital out in your passthrough functionality.
Thanks
Glenn.
gfoulke

Post by gfoulke »

I just realized, I might have missed something. If you program VSO MP for digital passthrough functionality, then the PC worries about which physical interface it goes through, so I'm OK.
Cool!
felicia
VSO Team Member

Post by felicia »

JJ wrote:This issue sounds simple and actually is simple, problem might be that programmers might have not even realized the way sounds has to be routed in some systems.

Currently the most common way (and official to keep standards) is to send video and audio thru HDMI. This requires compatible systems from computer to amplifier and to display. With HDMI 1.3 and later it is possible to send all data thru HDMI.

Some systems do not have HDMI 1.3, and they can not send DTS/Dolby thru it. They can only send PCM audio, so most users have set their systems to send DTS/Dolby to optical audio connector and from there to amplifier/display. This kind of connection usually is not capable of playing HDCP-protected content.

Felicia: just add settings to allow usage of any audiodevice that is installed, this way user just needs to set VSO Player to use what ever configuration they have. This of course might break HDCP-chain, but it is up to user.
Hi,

Sorry for the delay, will work on it as soon as I can.
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

Hi Supporting Team,

I'm a new user of VSO MP and I love it very much! However, I got the same issue No DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 signal out through my spdif to my sound system and this issue seems has not yet been fixed since Sep 2011 (more than 3 years from now), may I know any update on this? Many thanks!!

Best regards,
Wildcat :D :D