Method - How to create a simple batch process

Help with Bluray Converter and Convert DVD to mp4 and other formats. strip Bluray, convert to Blu-ray or avchd, convert blu ray to mkv, avi, copy DVDs and much more.

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

steptoe

Method - How to create a simple batch process

Post by steptoe »

I use MakeMKV, but it has one big downfall in that there is no batch conversion so thought I'd have a try with Ultimate DVD Ripper and after a few minutes came up with this simple batch method

Create a custom profile using MKV as your output type, and have all settings set as remux

Choose your source and add it to the main screen

Continue adding your source input, selecting NO when asked to clear current project

Make sure you change the video limitation setting to No video limit (best quality biggest filesize or you will get an error saying the project is too low quality if you have a big batch list

You will also HAVE to change the project name to something very simple like "remuxed" otherwise the project name is a combination of ALL your source DVD names. So you WILL get an error as the filename will be the total length of all source filename and will be far too long

Choose your destination and click START

And wait, once complete check the destination folder and there are all your rips in MKV format. Untouched and 100% lossless with nothing removed or re-encoded. A simple conversion to MKV with nothing added or removed

NOTES
If you want to convert the audio to 5.1 (if your source are older stereo only DVDs), just change the audio setting in your custom profile to 6 channels, 48000khz sample rate and AC3 audio with 384 kbit/s bitrate and convert DTS to AC3

I also changed the maximum simultaneous conversion when the "advanced settings" button is pressed to 1. You could change it to a higher value but personally I don't think you get a speed gain, in fact it should be slower as the hard drive heads would be thrashing back and forwards trying to do 4 jobs at once

Further to this quick method, I'm assuming that this method should also work with any other profile including encoding the source DVD to another video type (such as mobile formats) just so long as you remember to check 'NO' when asked if you wish to clear the current project. It 'should' then treat each source as a total separate encode

Not an ideal way to create a batch list, but so far it works. And I've had upto about 10 added to the list of DVD rips to a straight conversion to MKV without removing anything from the source

EDIT:

You can easily run 2 or more encodes if you have a system thats 2-3 years old without much effort. But, be aware that it will then share the load between the numbers of tasks. It won't run any faster and may even run slightly slower due to disk access. Maybe 2 tasks is the best option, unless you use SSD .... but why use SSD for constant disk read/write, its not really designed for that
Last edited by steptoe on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Re: Method - How to create a simple batch process

Post by Claire »

thanks for your post!