Muxing profile - what does it mean?

Help with Bluray Converter and Convert DVD to mp4 and other formats. strip Bluray, convert to Blu-ray or avchd, convert blu ray to mkv, avi, copy DVDs and much more.

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

skypilotpete

Muxing profile - what does it mean?

Post by skypilotpete »

I'm looking at DVD Converter Ultimate for the purpose of converting DVDs so that I can play them via an external hard drive connected to a hardware media player and an HD monitor (not connected to a computer). The media player supports .mkv format. I've been looking at the various conversion profiles in the trial version of DVD converter, and of the various .mkv options offered "muxing profile" gives the message "The final video quality will be the best available" (all of the other options say "good"). However, I have no idea what "muxing profile" means. Can anyone help me understand this?

The DVDs I would be converting would be standard 720x576 PAL format.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Re: Muxing profile - what does it mean?

Post by cedric »

Hi skypilotpete

The purpose of "muxing profiles" is to transform a file from a container type (like DVD) to another (like mkv...) without doing any encoding task.
In fact the "packets" from source file are extracted, updated to be compatible with new container, then remuxed in new file.

The bigger advantage to use remuxing profile is the time to process the file. You can remux a DVD source to an mkv file in only 10 minutes (depending on your hard drive read/write access speed).
The inconvenient is you can't change the size of the output size (will be the same as the source, if you keep all audio/subtitle tracks selected).
You can reduce the output size only by unselecting all unneeded audio/subtitle tracks.

Regards,
skypilotpete

Post by skypilotpete »

Thanks. That's very helpful.
coen99

Post by coen99 »

Hello,

When choosing MKV muxing profile will "audio compressor filter" still work ???
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hello,

No, like audio is not reencoded (exactly the same as source), the audio compressor can't be applied.

Regards,
coen99

Post by coen99 »

ok, thnx!
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

But if you really want to use an audio compressor with remux profile, you can create your own custom profile by using remux for video codec, and a specific codec for audio (AAC, AC3...)

Regards,
coen99

Post by coen99 »

Good idea! Saves quality and time.

Thnx