Virus

Help with Bluray Converter and Convert DVD to mp4 and other formats. strip Bluray, convert to Blu-ray or avchd, convert blu ray to mkv, avi, copy DVDs and much more.

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

LukeP

Virus

Post by LukeP »

http://forums.vso-software.fr/how-to-re ... t6589.html

This is a virus and should be removed for those very reasons. It's very inapropriate that it's been put up here on the forums and not taken down already.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Re: Virus

Post by JJ »

Where did you get that kind of information?
I have checked that installer and it is clean.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

That all depends on your virus software, a few software assumes anything is a virus if their heuristics think the code 'may' be a virus

Saying a piece of legit software is a virus, 'becuase my virus scanner said it is' is wrong. Thats why there are companies spending a lot of money testing multiple virus scanning software and showing what is better than others. I have found through personal experience some are terrible at constantly detecting legit software as a virus causing me headaches and aggrevation to find ways to tell the software its wrong, becuase it 'looks' like a virus

I have anti-virus/anti-malware software that runs software perfectly, but the exact same software caused a friends anti-virus software to persistantly block the sofware as it assumed it was a virus (it wasn't). In the end I had to tell him to disable his anti-virus and install the software then re-nenable it, and he still refuses to accept its his software that is at fault. AVG and Norton are terrible at reporting false positives, which why I gave up on them.

I believe some anti-virus software is over paranoid, that way the software companies can claim their software is better than others as it detects more 'likely' virus looking software, so showing that their software is doing a good job. A good job is software that recognises virus signatures correctly and can learn when running, some companies just won't accept their software is at fault, causing more false postive than others
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

I agree completely, I'm just curious on what gives OP that warning.
AVG is bad, Norton not so much as old versions were bad but new ones are very good actually. And of course you can tell it that program is safe; usually Norton reports that file "might be viral", but they have very fast online system now for checking new files. False detections are corrected very fast.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

I am somebody who wants to be in control of their software that they paid for, not software companies telling me what I can and cannot change in my software I bought, my firewall/anti-viris/anti-malware package is updated every hour and I've set the default option to warn me if something wants to run so I can decide to block it or allow it to run instead of (as most do) automatically blocking it and quarantining it instead of simple deleting it

If I choose to allow it to run the software it still monitors it and if it tries to write or download anything from the 'net it again the firewall/anti-malware pops up again and tells me its doing something like writing a .dll file or accessing a URL to download something. Bit of a pain sometimes, which is why I can tell it to 'learn' when installing the files, but at least "I" can see exactly what the software is trying to install instead of just blocking/deleting the software because "its a virus". This method can cause major problems when software refuses to run as the anti-virus package has blocked or even worse deleted part of the installation files which means the user then sits there banging their head on the table and ranting that the software that has just been bought is rubbish and won't install correctly so leading them to rant at the publishers who then suggest that their over active virus software might be at fault

The user then rants "no it isn't, its said its a virus, so your software is rubbish and I want my money back", which is why help forums suggest disabling anti-virus software and try again. If it installs there is your problem, then the user needs to rant at the anti-virus company to sort their anti-virus packages out, or stop downloading software from 'suspect' sites that are loaded with trojans and silent installers dumping malware/spyware all over their system

Or better still, instead of just clicking 'yes' to everything when installing software stop and read what its installing. I get fed up of uninstalling and cleaning junk off my daughters university laptop when she has downloaded 'free' software that installs 'helpful' toolbars and advertising junk in the installers which are set to default to install, and worse installing 'better' software such as Chrome browser. It may be free, but she doesn't need use it, so I go through her laptop every term end and clean it all up again