ABR in AVI?

Help with Bluray Converter and Convert DVD to mp4 and other formats. strip Bluray, convert to Blu-ray or avchd, convert blu ray to mkv, avi, copy DVDs and much more.

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

sokristi

ABR in AVI?

Post by sokristi »

Hi
I am using both the BluRAY Converter Ultimate and the DVD converter beta, and I face the same issue with both applications:

The encoded audio (be it MP3 or whatever, I haven't checked thoroughly) is seemingly VBR or ABR, not CBR (constant bitrate). The .avi files created play fine on my PC, but unfortunately not on my DLNA enabled TV-box. This box plays most everything else I throw at it, e.g. the very same DVDs converted with FairUse or similar.

I have tested creating xVid encodes as well as all flavours of H264, but none of them play properly. Audio is way off, and video stutters or stops.

I can remedy this by reconverting with VirtualDub, streaming the video directly (i.e. not changing it) and re-encoding the sound to CBR MP3.
When starting VDUB reports VBR audio and claims that VBR is non-standard in AVI containers.

If it is really the case that VBR is non-standard in AVI containers, please fix those otherwise great applications so they use CBR audio.

Would it perhaps be an idea to offer other container formats, like MP4?

I would also like to see implented some kind of user adjustable profiles, for now I can only decide on file size, and I would much prefer to be able to select bitrate, quantiziser or similar to control quality.

Cheers!

(I did post a similar entry in the DVD converter forum, but as the problems described concern both applications, I hope it's OK)