Important metadata lost after editing

create AVCHD stucture

Moderators: Maggie, Forum admin

JeffBellune

Important metadata lost after editing

Post by JeffBellune » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm using AVCHD folders and files from a Sony NX5U camera.

Information regarding timecode (TC) and date/time of shots from the source AVCHD folder structure is not included when the new folder structure is created by AVCHD Editor.

It looks like the CPI files are being rewritten by AVCHD Editor. Is it possible to include metadata like timecode and and the date/time of the original shots when AVCHD Editor writes the new CPI files?

Thanks,
-Jeff

cmbrougham

Re: Important metadata lost after editing

Post by cmbrougham » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm

I'd like to know this, as well. This is--so far--the only tool I've found that comes close to doing what I need with AVCHD media, but without preserving some of this information in the new AVCHD structure, it's just a toy.

If this isn't possible, please consider adding it.

JeffBellune

Re: Important metadata lost after editing

Post by JeffBellune » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:52 pm

I'd like to add that this tool seems to be used at the present time mostly for consumer-oriented purposes, but it could fill a big need for professional videographers and editors as well. It's important enough that I would gladly pay for a version that addresses the metadata issue discussed in this topic and the file ordering/renaming bug that I mentioned in my other topic.

At least 2 pro-level cameras, the Panasonic HMC150 and AF100, allow you to upload metadata to the camera prior to a shoot, and that metadata is injected into the video during recording. If an editing program can read that metadata, then the editor starts a project with all of the shots pre-logged. This can be a huge time saving workflow, and if AVCHD Editor preserved the metadata from the original AVCHD folder/file structure, then it could be an integral and vital part of the post-production workflow.

I'm going to start a thread on the Adobe Forum regarding both the need for an editor that can break apart and put together proper AVCHD file/folder structures, and to focus attention on AVCHD Editor in particular. I think you have a really good start on a useful professional tool.

-Jeff