ConvertXtoDVD v4.0/v4.1 WISH LIST

Avi to DVD and other video conversions, such as wmv to DVD, mts to DVD, mkv to DVD and more. 2 pass encoding, multi-core support, and always more files supported.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, Forum admin

urie

Re: ConvertXtoDVD v4.0/v4.1 WISH LIST

Post by urie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:34 am

JoeB wrote:
Slickinator wrote:just wondering why urie is posting that here as it has nothing at all to do with convertx 4 or 4.1 lol
Actually, urie's post makes sense to me. He seems to be saying that the third party batch program isn't supported anymore so not that useful, and therefore would like VSO to add their own options for batch conversion as part of the ConvertX program so people don't have to rely on a third party program to do batch.

Regards,

JoeB

JoeB exactly, but since I posted cmsoft replied on forum.
I'm still here, and I've not forgotten BatchXtoDVD. I don't get to loon on the forums here very often, so if anyone has any issues, bugs, feature requests, either PM me or add it to http://bugs.cmsoft.co.uk

Thanks
CMSoft
While I do really appreciate cmsoft's BatchXtoDVD, I still cannot see why VSO can't incorporate for example add to Queue then no need for another program + .NET FRAMEWORK to be installed

geronimo

Post by geronimo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:15 pm

urie wrote: While I do really appreciate cmsoft's BatchXtoDVD, I still cannot see why VSO can't incorporate for example add to Queue then no need for another program + .NET FRAMEWORK to be installed
8) That feature has been requested a "1001" times, and for their own personal reasons VSO has declined a "1001" times to add that feature. It is their prerogative!

jantje2

Post by jantje2 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:24 am

I would like a 16x9 Menu Option, after about ten years 16x9 in Europe I think it's about time that the menu templates should be available in the 16x9 mode.
Maybe in the next version, please

SundayForever

Post by SundayForever » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:14 am

The problem I have with my festival footage is that I want to play the same three films as ONE film (without any other titles being included) OR as separate films. In other words, I want the same footage to be accessable in two different ways. At the moment, I have merged all three days of footage to make one long movie, and then loaded the exact same footage in again to be able to play them as separate days. If there was a 'play part' feature, I could merge the three films into one film - and then choose which extractions I wanted to play independently as well. :D :D :D :D

swampdaddy

Post by swampdaddy » Mon May 02, 2011 7:12 am

I'll add another item to my "Wish List" for v4 of ConvertX. I've read the manual 'work around' for this and find it cumbersome to use. I'd like ConvertX to make the menu cycle = to the length of a selected video background (if one is used) automatically so the menu would look better; and, have less jitter.

Swamp Daddy :wink:

Slickinator

Post by Slickinator » Mon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm

SundayForever wrote:The problem I have with my festival footage is that I want to play the same three films as ONE film (without any other titles being included) OR as separate films. In other words, I want the same footage to be accessable in two different ways. At the moment, I have merged all three days of footage to make one long movie, and then loaded the exact same footage in again to be able to play them as separate days. If there was a 'play part' feature, I could merge the three films into one film - and then choose which extractions I wanted to play independently as well. :D :D :D :D
well technicly there is that option already if you put say your three days in the proper order and enable in the menu settings to play one right after each other it will play from start to finish and you will not notice that it started each part, there is a slight twitch when each part starts but its so minor that most times you miss it or depending if its a whole different scene completely ... just my knowledge of it and yet it will show the three parts separatly also incase u want to jump in further plus u can have the chapters set also.

swampdaddy

Post by swampdaddy » Sat May 14, 2011 6:29 pm

More wishes for me.

1) I always thought it was the Microsoft model to always increase the steps to do the same thing (i.e. - 2 clicks instead of one). In V3 of ConvertX most options required only one click to open. In V4 now most menu options require two clicks to open). I sure wish you would go back to the single click way. :(

2) Now in the latest V4s the preview window icon has disappeared :oops: . This was convenient - 1 click to close it, 1 click to open it. Now, it is two clicks to open or close it (i.e. - click Window, click video preview) Again two clicks instead of one. Earlier version 4s still had the icon for doing this with a single click. Please put the icon back.

3) And, while at the two clicks versus 1 click methods, :arrow: how about a "pause" icon showing so you could 1-click to pause conversion rather than 2 clicking Action, then Pause.

Is this just me, or does everyone else like 2 or 3 or 4 clicks to do things rather than 1?

Swamp Daddy :wink:

Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire » Tue May 17, 2011 10:37 am

@swampdaddy is your computer set up to use largefont? I suspect so because if you are in normal font the preview icon is visible, but not in 200% largefont
http://bugs.vso-software.fr/view.php?id=4402

Version 3 had better compatibility.

swampdaddy

Post by swampdaddy » Tue May 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Claire: Thanks for that info. Plenty of room for that icon on my 19" monitor not quite full screen (and other icons like a pause one). Could v4 programming be updated to cure this? I need larger fonts as I can't see the screen very well even then until I'm real close.

Swamp Daddy

Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire » Wed May 18, 2011 7:58 am

I know there is plenty of room, but it was just to confirm that you are in fact using large fonts to understand why it is you do not see the icon.

I am not sure we want to add another button for pause - even though I do understand that you would like it available in 1 click.

swampdaddy

Post by swampdaddy » Wed May 18, 2011 4:43 pm

Claire: Not sure which category of font sizes you are interested in. I have a theme applied which increases certain font sizes but not others. For instance the Title Bar font is set at 17, message box at 12, could provide others if you let me know what one you are interested in or will send all. Can provide a photo of the ConvertX window too; but, have no storage site to put it on to embed it in so it will appear in this message - can send it to you if you send me an email at swampdaddy @ bellsouth.net providing a return place to send. So, do you want me to list all font sizes in the theme? (I did not select anything in windows for larger fonts; but, I know some are larger than normal due to being changed by the theme).

thanks, Harry :wink:

Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire » Thu May 19, 2011 8:28 am

email sent, thank you.

Twitch29

Post by Twitch29 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Feature Request

Please add additional encoding quality options. The gap between SP1P and MP1P is too big.

I know the VBR / CQ debate is a hot topic and I'm firmly in the CQ camp. The problem is that I, and would imagine the majority, mainly use CX2D for single movie conversions. At 120+ mins, CQ is the clear winner but at 120 mins it depends on the movie. As most movies are substantially less than 120 min (mine seem to average around the 100 min mark) we need a CQ setting that utilises available disc space and therefor vanquishes the "softening" on low complexity frames.

I suggest the following would be perfect:

<80 mins: All frames Q1
80-100 mins: B Frames Q1, I and P frames Q2
100-120 mins: All frames Q2
>120 mins: B Frames Q2, I and P frames Q3

It is extremely annoying to have noticeable degradation that could have been fixed with an increased bitrate when the R5 still has 1 or 2GB (sometimes 3GB) free space.

Hope this can be implemented. In the meantime I keep on jumping over to HC and putting up with the crappy UI and encode speeds!

A 2 pass CQ that determines the maximum Q that can be used from first pass would be wonderful...

ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Post by ckhouston » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:58 pm

Good idea, I proposed something similar to VSO quite a while ago.

I don't think your suggestion to use your last option, which is the present MP option, for everything over 120 minutes is valid though. Try converting Avatar with it, even the present LP option fills a DVD5, even though the movie is only 3 minutes over the change point of 160, so 2 pass needs to be used.

VSO has to satisfy as many users as possible not just a bare majority, and many use CX2D for a variety of video other than movies. So other options beyond where yours stop are needed for those that want to put a lot on a disc. Then the only way to pick from so many is to either do a first pass to determine the best one or do conversion sampling of several short segments instead.

I don't know what will be in version 5 to address this issue but have been told that VSO has been concerned for a long time and has considered several approaches.

I personally don't think it is as big a problem as it has become in most people's minds. I am pleased with results from the present setup and would bet that most people would be if VSO just filled in the unused space with dummy data to satisfy their belief that bigger must somehow be better. I would also bet that most people are satisfied until they notice that the disc is not filled.

Twitch29

Post by Twitch29 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:25 pm

@ ckhouston

I was just being lazy only posting the 4 suggested options. Of course I would expect a LP, and maybe one in between MP and LP, and even an extra long!

I agree that CX2D needs to satisfy all users, it also needs to allows a little more tweaking in regards to quality for more experienced users.

Viewing on a large screen TV, I can see the loss of detail compared to the original on the majority of encodes. It is especially noticeable on facial skin during close-ups. Sometimes I say, "sod it, it's good enough", others I don't. I personally watch all my movies direct from DivX or MKV. The DVD encodes are for the technophobe family members, but they all have 42" plus screens!

In regards to unused disc space and bitrates, I couldn't care less. Anyone that understands QC, also understands it's relevant. What I do care about is the final quality, and, like I said, there is too big a gap between SP and MP. It is possible to produce CQ encodes of 80/120 min movies that don't have this "softening" and I'd like to be able to do it with CX2D.

An advanced user CQ 2P that auto selects optimum Q settings from a wider selection than is currently available is the way forward. These extra Q settings could also be incorporated into the auto CQ 1P but always erring on the safe side.

Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:42 pm

request heard - thank you for your posts.

illogical

Post by illogical » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:06 pm

I wish when burning to ISO in working folder, the program wouldn't almost freeze my machine, it's unbelievable.
I have my PC set up so when converting the source is on say Drive A and it's writing to Drive M, both on independant SATA controllers, along with the operating system running on a hardware LSI SAS2, 2 X Mushkin Calisto SSD in RAID 1.
So I have the program running the show from it's own drive and controller, the source and destination discs likewise their own controllers, one being AMdSB600 controller, the other a Via, all are set to run AHIC except the main drive which as I said is RAID 1.
6 Core CPU @ 4.1 GHZ, 8Gigs of RAM @1600.
When this happens CPU and RAM usage are insignificant.
An example of what I mean is, if while posting this thread the program began to create the ISO, trying to type would be almost impossible everything lags like an old pre Pentium Motorola chip.
Doesn't happen if I burn the resuld direct to a DVD disc.
It's got me baffled it just should not be so.
So I guess it's something within the source code of the program. :?: :idea:

Twitch29

Post by Twitch29 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:59 pm

@illogical. I have the same problem when burning to ISO. Always presumed the underlying cause is that ISO is created on same drive as working folder but that shouldn't grind the system to a halt. I'm using i7 2600k, Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR3-1600, Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3, and 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT drives. It would be nice to have this working properly. I'm still using DVD Shrink 3.2 to create my ISO's.
Out of curiosity I've just set the working folder to my SSD boot drive, a crucial M4. Made no difference. System still totally unresponsive whilst the ISO is created.

JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:16 pm

Have you tried creating ISO with some other program?
Does it slow down as much?
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!

Twitch29

Post by Twitch29 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:23 pm

[quote="JJ"]Have you tried creating ISO with some other program?
Does it slow down as much?[/quote]

No problems creating ISO with any other software I've used. I also had this same issue on my previous system built around a Phenom II 965 Black Edition.