ConvertXtoDVD v4.0/v4.1 WISH LIST

Avi to DVD and other video conversions, such as wmv to DVD, mts to DVD, mkv to DVD and more. 2 pass encoding, multi-core support, and always more files supported.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, Forum admin

JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:40 am

It is possible but only with mpeg2-audio, not with Dolby.
  • Video DVD audio standards
    Dolby Digital (AC-3): 1 to 5.1 channels
    MPEG-2 audio: 1 to 5.1 or 7.1 channels
    PCM: 1 to 8 channels.

edmantay

Post by edmantay » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:57 am

copycat29 wrote:I`m not sure if this has been suggested before but it would be good if 7.1 support was added into ConvertXtoDVD settings for those of us that have 7.1 sound systems.
The DVD standard doesn't support 7.1 audio. If you had 7.1 audio, it wouldn't be a DVD.
copycat29 wrote:It would be good as well if there was a way you could make a copy of the audio in a movie file within ConvertXtoDVD
You already can. You might want to reference the manual.

Echuir

Post by Echuir » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:15 am

Feature Request: x64 bit version. To take advantage of faster processing.

edmantay

Post by edmantay » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:27 am

Echuir wrote:Feature Request: x64 bit version. To take advantage of faster processing.
Processing speed is a function of your processor, it has nothing to do with the application being 32 or 64-bit. There is nothing inherent to CX2D that would benefit from the larger memory model.

JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:43 am

edmantay wrote: The DVD standard doesn't support 7.1 audio. If you had 7.1 audio, it wouldn't be a DVD.
Wrong.
DVD does not support Dolby 7.1 but it does support mpg 7.1.

urie

Post by urie » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:09 pm

I would like the option to at least be able to name the folder it converts to rather that it just choosing the video file name. even when you save a project example Masterchef (2010) US Season 1 Disk 1 of 2.XtoDVD it still names the folder after the first video file Episode 1 - Auditions part 1 :(

toaddub

Post by toaddub » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:46 pm

urie wrote:I would like the option to at least be able to name the folder it converts to rather that it just choosing the video file name. even when you save a project example Masterchef (2010) US Season 1 Disk 1 of 2.XtoDVD it still names the folder after the first video file Episode 1 - Auditions part 1 :(
Yes, I would like this very much. I believe there were posts asking for this. Perhaps add an entry "Folder name" under "Disc name". By default the folder name will be the first file name as it does currently, but this can be overwritten.

JoeB
VSO Fanatic

Post by JoeB » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:15 pm

toaddub wrote:
urie wrote:I would like the option to at least be able to name the folder it converts to rather that it just choosing the video file name. even when you save a project example Masterchef (2010) US Season 1 Disk 1 of 2.XtoDVD it still names the folder after the first video file Episode 1 - Auditions part 1 :(
Yes, I would like this very much. I believe there were posts asking for this. Perhaps add an entry "Folder name" under "Disc name". By default the folder name will be the first file name as it does currently, but this can be overwritten.
While perhaps this is something to be considered, I can't see it as much of a time saver. You would, after all, have to type in the name that you want the folder to be named. You can do the same thing after conversion by simply renaming the folder it presently creates.

Regards,

JoeB

urie

Post by urie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:07 am

Who said anything about saving time, You would expect at least if you setup a project naming the dvd for it to at least save it with that name even worse if doing batches.

It's the same as I asked before if they could at least have the program save of some sort of ini or registry file of settings, to save having to set everything backup when doing fresh install.

You can't even save a default project with say your preferred menu settings or say one full screen and one wide screen, without adding video files then if you have deleted those files it wont load the project back in because the video files are not there, so you have to start over again.

war59312

Post by war59312 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:26 pm

How about fixing the "about" screen. lol

Pretty obvious what is broke.

Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:08 am

A preview of the finished result including audio level would be nice.

JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:41 am

Sure it would, but as menus are done after all conversions (and they have to be that way) it is quite pointless...
You can have "estimated preview with default settings" or similar, but even that takes several minutes to create.

Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:58 am

Most other applications do allow a preview before the actual conversion. I don't know how complicated it would be to apply this for future major updates.

JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:07 am

They allow approximate based on template used. This could be done, but only VSO knows how much work it will require.

Skymen

Post by Skymen » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:46 am

ConvertXtoDVD 4.1.2.336
When you load the program automatically opens the Log panel.
In menu View i disable Log, but a new startup, this function is activated again.
This bug only me?

korazet

Post by korazet » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:38 pm

option to add a custom image to the template used.
this would be great for when i'm building videos for my family.
even if possible a VSO ConvertXtoDVD Template Creator

swampdaddy

Here's my wish list for v4

Post by swampdaddy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:37 pm

Hi all: Here's a short wish list for v4.

1) make provision for a 'splash' or introductory video clip played once before the main movie menu appears (and I do not mean the menu background if used). Yes, I've seen the complicated work around for this. My three autoplay programs allow for this when making a disc; and, it only takes a few clicks.

2) put the 'space' used on the disc back in next to the traffic signal for quality AS it was in v3. Yes, I can add up the files first to see the size; but, having them add to the total space as I go is much more convenient especially when I don't always add them in straight order from the folder.

3) this might be a "just for me" want - ability to go straight to the chapter menu skipping all other menus for a single title. Would be handy for sporting events where you want to have various chapter points such as pre-game, game start, halftime, second half, post game, etc. Yes, I can use a separate video editor to divide the video up before hand and make separate titles; but, it sure would be nice to have it in ConvertX.

thanks for listening, Swamp Daddy

ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Post by ckhouston » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:57 pm

I think all three of those have been submitted on the BTS, http://bugs.vso-software.fr/view_all_bug_page.php

I hope 2) is not brought back though, it was inaccurate to the point of causing confusion -- http://forums.vso-software.fr/understan ... t5616.html

swampdaddy

suggestions

Post by swampdaddy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:38 am

well, if the "space one the disc" was directly related to the traffic signal then both are about worthless to indicate anything about quality given no other standard is used concrning the quality of the original. Thanks for pointing this out to me. :oops:

well, I guess I can continue to manually add them up to judge what to put on a disc.

I still like 1 & 3 :)

Swamp Daddy

I was unable to access the other link. I will try later

ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Post by ckhouston » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:00 pm

The traffic light gives much better advice in ver 4 than previous versions.

CX2D uses a CQ method of encoding rather than the traditional VBR that you are probably familiar with. Traditional VBR output is bitrate controlled so output size is predictable, CQ assigns only the bitrate needed to maintain the same quality for all scenes, so output is not predictable unless scene complexity is known before conversion starts (uaually not known), scene complexity can make more than 300% difference.

Throw in the effects of encoding option, resize filter, etc. and output size can vary by more than 600%. The point is that there is no way to know output size before conversion begins with CX2D.

So use the Automatic encode option as recommended in the Answers to most of your conversion questions Sticky topic and don't try to base your project on what you think will fit. Automatic will give good results for most projects, you can override it when you have enough experience and knowledge of how the program works.

BTW, you have to register separately for the bug site, use the same name, etc.