How to completely uninstall ConvertXtoDVD

"How to's" and tips and tricks - for all VSO products- not for questions!

Moderators: Maggie, Cougar_II, ckhouston, JJ, alexia, Forum admin

Claire
VSO Team Member

How to completely uninstall ConvertXtoDVD

Post by Claire »

Hello,

Want to completely unistall ConvertXtoDVD to have a fresh reinstall? To avoid a problem or crash that cannot be explained?

Or want to get ride completely of an old version?

Use this tool to completely remove any trace of ConvertXtoDVD or any VSO product on your computer:

Get CleanVSO Tool
Last edited by Claire on Wed May 07, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wizard70

Post by Wizard70 »

You need a seperate program to uninstall this thing ?

Interesting ! :?
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Post by Cougar_II »

Wizard70 wrote:You need a seperate program to uninstall this thing ?

Interesting ! :?
Hi,

The tool does 2 things:

1- Uninstall, the same as if you did it manually.

2- Deletes the 2 registry keys associated with ConvertXtoDVD.

Several users have no idea how to go to the registry or are scared blue of accessing it !

When you select [X] Settings it does just that, delete those 2 keys.

So you end up with a 100% clean uninstall.

Needed sometimes when some keys get corrupted and causes issues.
Removing those keys fixed a few weird problems.
VSO Software Golden Membership Proud Owner / VSO Software Beta Tester
Wizard70

Post by Wizard70 »

Thanks for clarifying cougar, but why doesn't the default uninstaller take care of the registry entries ?
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Post by Cougar_II »

Hi,

That's something VSO would need to answer.

But 1 advantage not to delete those keys, if if you decide to uninstall it, then reinstall it, you will not loose your registration key, and all your settings.

1 disadvantage, the registry is probably full of stuff not needed from multiple software when uninstalled.
VSO Software Golden Membership Proud Owner / VSO Software Beta Tester
Naka

Can't delete theHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VSO\ConvertXtoDVD

Post by Naka »

Hi, I was having problems in saving the settings in my ConvertXtoDVD on Windows Vista, kept receiving a message that a folder could not be created to save them, then I've decided to uninstall and reinstall everything.
The VSO Cleaner was not able to delete the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VSO\ConvertXtoDVD, so I've tried to delete it manually, but I also was not able to, kept receiving an error message, even after setting permission to erase and modify the key. I can't rename it either.
What should I do? Is it a problem with the Regedit from Vista?
Phil
VSO Team Member

Post by Phil »

That sounds weird...
Are you running regedit with admin privileges, i.e. do you have a UAC prompt when launching it?
Naka

Post by Naka »

Yes, I´m running it with admin privileges and with UAC turned off.
Funny is that when I had the XP I never had any problem with the program, think I´m gonna have to switch back to Windows XP. :cry:
Phil
VSO Team Member

Post by Phil »

The only thing I could think of is some security software preventing you from deleting the key.
If you have anything like that installed, try disabling it and also Windows Defender...
Naka

Post by Naka »

Hey, I finally did it. I deleted the key after disabling all security softwares and setting admin privileges to every subfolder in the key (had to delete one by one, kinda backwards). Reinstalled the program and everything's working fine now.
Thanks for the help.
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

Naka wrote:Hey, I finally did it.
Good to see you've got it sorted out. I don't think this is a Vista/XP thing though. I use XP but have had similar problems in the past with other software. The registry keys display as having the right security permissions but they don't (why this happens is a mystery to me) but just manually re-entering the permissions on the key using Regedit fixed the problem for me.
Walker1

Post by Walker1 »

Clueless wrote:
Naka wrote:Hey, I finally did it.
Good to see you've got it sorted out. I don't think this is a Vista/XP thing though. I use XP but have had similar problems in the past with other software. The registry keys display as having the right security permissions but they don't (why this happens is a mystery to me) but just manually re-entering the permissions on the key using Regedit fixed the problem for me.
I have Vista Home Premium on 1 PC & XP-Home on the other. Vista does have some weird quirks and at times I have to use the XP pc to get a task done as Vista has a problem.

On another note I was having problems with the program turning my DVD blanks into ash trays & false error messages. I de-installed the program using the control panel/programs and then reinstalled the software.

As of today I have not had anymore problems with burning discs and they all play fine.