Menu Guide: How to add a background image to menu?

"How to's" and tips and tricks - for all VSO products- not for questions!

Moderators: Maggie, Cougar_II, ckhouston, JJ, alexia, Forum admin

Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Post by Cougar_II »

Hi,

Thanks for your opinion !

Yes, it may sound like I work for VSO because I use all of their software, and try to help in the forum (ON my free time) because I love their software.

It might not be the best interface in the world, but I I know what each features does, and I can do a DVD very easily.

Sorry if you didn't like my build a house example.

My point was, for now, the only way to see the menus is to render them.

If you hit preview and render a menu, it will take 10-30 seconds (With the current v3) so there is no instant preview, that was the point.

Sometimes I am a little too sarcastic and get some people mad, sorry if some of my comments were inapropriate.

Just makes me laught when I read stuff like:

v3 is just unsusable, it's the worst software I have ever seen.
Trust me, your not the only one like liking it.

But there's others like me who payed for it, likes it and use it...

I hope someday you find something your like, even if it's not a VSO product.
VSO Software Golden Membership Proud Owner / VSO Software Beta Tester
loblah

Post by loblah »

all good big guy
lio

Post by lio »

cougar_ii wrote:Hi,

Not every template accepts an image as the background.

You are using the Default, Simple Menu.

This one doesn't accept a custom video/image as the background.
So which templates accept an image as the background? :?:
stimuli

Post by stimuli »

I am noticing that when I use my own background .jpg image , that it always comes up dark & dim in the menu background, compared to the original.
Is there a reason for this? I like to try & find stills from the movie I am converting , to add a little "pizzazz" to the Menu, but it seems to not look so good when it plays.
Thanks, otherwise, I am getting the hang of all the new menu options, v3 rocks!
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Post by Cougar_II »

Hi,

When you add an image or a custom video, the value beside it (Full Path), is the Opacity.

100% will display the image/video at 100% clarity/light.

Be default, each template use like 30%-40%

This is why your image is "Dimmed"

I personally like 50% so when white text is used, it comes out more clearly, some others users prefer 100% see the most of the image.
VSO Software Golden Membership Proud Owner / VSO Software Beta Tester
stimuli

Post by stimuli »

ah, so...thanks, did not even notice that setting. :oops:
mmelly57

Text in Menu

Post by mmelly57 »

Hi
1st time here, i want to know how to add text to each of the dvd thumbnails on the 1st menu page when i have 2 or more movies on 1 dvd disc
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Hi,

I suggest checking out the PDF manual found here http://www.vso-software.fr/tutorial.php

Thanks,
mmelly57

Post by mmelly57 »

Thanks

The manual wasnt there when i last looked.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

ok :)

it is true, it was just added :D
CJ2

Post by CJ2 »

Hi.
First post for me so hello everyone. :D

Ok i just tried version 3 and first go managed to load and have my own background on my Dvd. :wink:
But.... instead of saying what i wanted it to say "Survivor Episode 10"
It said "My menu" or something . and The play button i made was underneath. So i guess thats not bad for a first go, but guys/girls, how do i get my own text on it as i wanted it , and not "My menu" :?
Thank you all.
JoeB
VSO Fanatic

Post by JoeB »

CJ2 wrote:Hi.

Ok i just tried version 3 and first go managed to load and have my own background on my Dvd. :wink:
It said "My menu" or something . and The play button i made was underneath. So i guess thats not bad for a first go, but guys/girls, how do i get my own text on it as i wanted it , and not "My menu" :?
Thank you all.
Claire posted a link in her April 3/08 post to the manuals, and you might want to download the manual for v.3. I believe Page 16 will be what you're looking for, but it likely wouldn't hurt to go through the whole thing :-)

Regards,

JoeB
CJ2

Post by CJ2 »

JoeB wrote:

Thank you all.
Claire posted a link in her April 3/08 post to the manuals, and you might want to download the manual for v.3. I believe Page 16 will be what you're looking for, but it likely wouldn't hurt to go through the whole thing :-)

Regards,

JoeB
Thanks JoeB,
i had the manual but must of missed that. Just had a look but cant see why my title said "My Menu"
I think ill have to play with this version, its not quite so straightforward as v.2 is it. But it recognized my QuadCore and boy did it convert fast !!!! :D
JoeB
VSO Fanatic

Post by JoeB »

CJ2 wrote:
JoeB wrote:

Thank you all.

Regards,

JoeB
Thanks JoeB,
i had the manual but must of missed that. Just had a look but cant see why my title said "My Menu"
I think ill have to play with this version, its not quite so straightforward as v.2 is it. But it recognized my QuadCore and boy did it convert fast !!!! :D
Like I said, I don't have v.3. When I checked page 16 of the manual it seemed to me it said to double-click the item that says "My Menu" (or any other item you want to change) to change it. Did you try that?

Regards,

JoeB
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

CJ2

Post by CJ2 »

Thanks Claire, but IMO they have really over-complicated something which was so darn easy in V.2. I just want to load up my background, do my text and be done in 2 minutes like i used to and also see it before burning. They have a lot of work to do on this version. I might go back to V.2 for a while.
Thanks anyway. :wink:
CJ2

Post by CJ2 »

Tried again and again but had to give up. Back to V.2 :D alls well.
ding

Post by ding »

I have to agree as well. This new version really is a major step backwards. The new features are diminished by the horribly confusing interface.

Like a previous poster stated, I liked the simplicity of 2.0. I could add a custom menu image (EASILY) as well as a custom title (EASILY) and burn without any hassle. I struggled over 30 minutes tonight trying to figure out how to do that with 3.0 before turning to the forums. AND it still looks like VSO got rid of that invaluable feature.

I'm back to 2.0 as well. VSO--I hope you're listening!
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Hello,

Yes we are listening.

Cougar did this great post here which clears things up quite a bit:
http://forums.vso-software.fr/guide-und ... t5209.html

And versions 3.0.0.13 provide a more reactive preview menu so you can visualize the menu you are creating.

Here is a download for version 3.0.0.16
http://download2.vso-software.fr/vsoCon ... 0.0.16.exe

Currently the VSO website has not been updated with a more recent version yet as the beta builds still have problems which prevent us from having it as default download. A new official build should be expected this week.

All feed back is welcome. Also if you have a drawing of a menu template that you would like please post on forum or contact vso directly with your draft.
pestrick

No matter what you say THE TEMPLATE MEANS YOU CANT HAVE A>

Post by pestrick »

NORMAL BACKGROUND (jpeg of your choice) on the first page. On the old convertx you could change the TEMPLATE to one of your choice but fact is you cant on this, i've tried 5 times now, no matter even if you change it to a still image on the title menu (title menu being the 2nd page, not the first image you see when u put the dvd in a machine?)

if i'm being stupid please let me know but TEMPLATE IS THE REASON. it wont let u use any other background on first page other than its templates. annoying as i like a film still image (dvd cover etc) on first page. why do people keep saying you can and others cant?