Questions and problem about videos burned to DVD-R

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: cedric, ckhouston, JJ, Claire, Phil, felicia, Forum admin

Questions and problem about videos burned to DVD-R

Postby Windows 10 User » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:46 am

I don't understand a thing about video formats and although this is a bit of an old method I keep converting (excluding movies which are already on DVD-R format which I only burn) and burning videos onto DVD-Rs even when they have 720p/1080p BRRip/BDRip formats (assuming they fit onto a DVD-R, of course).

My questions and problem are: which one of them have better picture quality (assuming it might be influenced by the device on which it is played) after being burned onto a DVD-R, a 720p/1080p BRRip/BDRip (whatever the difference between these two is) or a DVD-R (or DVD9/DVDR converted to DVD5 with DVD Shrink) since the picture quality will decrease after converting a BRRip/BDRip (which I suppose won't happen if I burn a DVD-R format video to a DVD-R)? I use ConvertXToDVD even though only up to the last ConvertxToDVD 4 version I can watch converted and burned videos by this program in my dad's DVD player (and there are some which I can't watch even after doing this) which is connected to a TV that has a much bigger screen than mine where I can watch converted and burned videos by the most recent versions of ConvertXToDVD through the PS2 and PS3 (and on the PCs from our house).

Excuse for my english but it isn't my native language.
Last edited by Windows 10 User on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Windows 10 User
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:23 am

Re: Questions and problem about videos burned to DVD-R

Postby JJ » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:28 am

Any conversion degrades quality. Always.
After that is it totally depending on original source. Better source gives better conversion.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
User avatar
JJ
 
Posts: 6152
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:25 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Questions and problem about videos burned to DVD-R

Postby Windows 10 User » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:24 pm

JJ wrote:Any conversion degrades quality. Always.
After that is it totally depending on original source. Better source gives better conversion.

Except when they're already in DVD-5 format since they aren't converted but just burned, right?
And how do I know what are the best sources? So, a converted and burned 720p/1080p BDRIP/BRRIP movie can have worse quality than a just burned DVD-5 one? How can I solve the DVD player problem?
Last edited by Windows 10 User on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 User
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:23 am

Re: Questions and problem about videos burned to DVD-R

Postby Coral » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:20 am

Your best bet for a pre conversion quality check is to have look at the movie before conversion. It would be best to judge quality by watching dark scenes and fast movement.
On dark scenes there shouldn't be any blockiness or pixelation. On fast scenes there should be no pixelation or picture breakup. Your PC should be fast enough to cope with such situations. You need a good video card and a fast CPU.

If you burn a DVD5 using its Video TS folder, then there should be no degradation of quality. But if you rip it, then convert it again, there will exist the posibility of loss of quality.
User avatar
Coral
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:10 am
Location: Malta

Re: Questions and problem about videos burned to DVD-R

Postby yoyo57 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:21 am

hi win10 user, sorry no quick answer if you have no knowledge on this, suggest you do some tuitorials. Below is just a starter

https://support.google.com/youtube/answ ... ktop&hl=en
User avatar
yoyo57
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:12 am

Re: Questions and problem about videos burned to DVD-R

Postby Windows 10 User » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:11 am

Coral wrote:Your best bet for a pre conversion quality check is to have look at the movie before conversion. It would be best to judge quality by watching dark scenes and fast movement.
On dark scenes there shouldn't be any blockiness or pixelation. On fast scenes there should be no pixelation or picture breakup. Your PC should be fast enough to cope with such situations. You need a good video card and a fast CPU.

If you burn a DVD5 using its Video TS folder, then there should be no degradation of quality. But if you rip it, then convert it again, there will exist the posibility of loss of quality.

What do you mean with it mustn't have pixelation on dark scenes and picture breakup (what do you mean with this?) in fast scenes? I guess that has to do with the quality so it might have it or not. Yes, it loses quality if I convert it (and burn it) but I don't think that happens if it's already in DVD video format and is afterwards burned to a DVD-R. Well, I don't rip and my PC can't cope with 4K youtube videos, for instance. Anyway, I don't want to watch them on my PC but on the TV.

yoyo57 wrote:hi win10 user, sorry no quick answer if you have no knowledge on this, suggest you do some tuitorials. Below is just a starter

https://support.google.com/youtube/answ ... ktop&hl=en

Thanks.
Windows 10 User
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:23 am


Return to ConvertXtoDVD 7

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest