PAL video and unknown audio - what will happen?

old version of ConvertXtoDVD questions and problems (but most solved by using version 3)

Moderators: Cougar_II, ckhouston, JJ, Claire, Forum admin

PAL video and unknown audio - what will happen?

Postby JoeB » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:59 pm

I am attaching a screenshot of the souce info of an AVI from XtoDVD, which has not been converted. I have both audio and video questions.

First, my TV Format options are set to Vido Format - NTSC (because that is my North American TV) and TV Screen is set to Automatic.

When I play the avi on a media player the video is great but I have to turn the volume way up to hear it. The source info shows an audio format I don't know (liba52) and kb/s is more than 4 times the normal 96kb/s I usually see.

Question #1: Will XtoDVD automatically convert the audio so that it will come out in a better way and not be so low?

Question #2: If not, should/can I convert it myself somehow, and in a way that won't mess up the video/audio synchronization?

As to the video, it's in PAL format, which is not what my TV is. My questions have to do with what happens if I convert/burn.

Question #3: If I convert with my present settings, (a) will this cause the characters/objects to be stretched or distorted when viwing the DVD on my TV, (b) or will it crop the sides of the video and, if so, approximately how much, or (c) will it convert in a way that doesn't crop the sides or top, and will this result in a wider image with larger black at top and bottom or simply a taller video with less black on top and botton?

Question #4: If I change my present settings, are there settings that will result in a better video output in terms of preventing distortion or excessive side cropping or a video too narrow from top to bottom to be worth viewing?

Regards,

JoeB
Attachments
source_info.gif
source_info.gif (7.41 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
JoeB

Postby JJ » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:45 pm

About video:
Conversion to NTSC goes quite smoothly, no strecthing on picture. Some movies might show some "stutter" due added frames (PAL 25 -> NTSC 29.97) but usually it is not noticeable.

About audio:
If your original is really low level then you can use CxDs audio amplify setting. Try with +4-10.

Let CxD convert but do not burn. Then open converted folder with software DVDplayer and check results. If it is ok (as it usually is) then burn.
JJ

Postby JoeB » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:08 pm

JJ wrote:About video:
About audio:
If your original is really low level then you can use CxDs audio amplify setting. Try with +4-10.

Let CxD convert but do not burn. Then open converted folder with software DVDplayer and check results. If it is ok (as it usually is) then burn.

Thanks for the video info, that sounds good.

With audio, however, I presently have my Max Gain set to 15. This generally results in audio that, when playing the DVD in my standalone DVD player on the TV is approximately the same loudness as I have my TV normally set to (sometimes a bit louder, sometimes a bit lower but close on average).

But here's something I noticed. When I look at the source audio in XtoDVD with other avi files, it shows the audio info and then says "Max. Gain 15. You'll notice in my last screenshot, however, that with this file there is audio info, but it doesn't show the Max Gain at the end of it. Makes me wonder if this audio format will not recognize gain set by XtoDVD.

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby JoeB » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:20 pm

JJ wrote:About video:
Conversion to NTSC goes quite smoothly, no strecthing on picture. Some movies might show some "stutter" due added frames (PAL 25 -> NTSC 29.97) but usually it is not noticeable.

Nope, conversion didn't go well. It plays fine, but stretched the video width so that circular objects are stretched horizonatlly like an oval egg lying on its side. I recall somebody else once saying this would happen with PAL images on NTSC.

Question: Was I supposed to force it to 4:3 by changing TV Screen from Automatic to 4:3? I would like to know for future PAL attempts.

Also, with the strange audio format in this vid (as per my previous attachment) upping the Max Gain in XtoDVD to 18 didn't change the final volume at all, which is too low to be really useable. I suspected as much when I noticed that the audio source info didn't show the Max Gain setting when I brought the avi into XtoDVD, and it always shows it with Mpeg audio, etc.

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby JJ » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:16 am

If that audio is recognized as AC3 or DTS track then it is simply copied without changes, so gain will not help here.

As for stretch - there might be a bug in current version, but it should be with specific screen size. I have done numerous conversions both ways and never got problems.
JJ

Postby JoeB » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:29 am

JJ wrote:If that audio is recognized as AC3 or DTS track then it is simply copied without changes, so gain will not help here.

As for stretch - there might be a bug in current version, but it should be with specific screen size. I have done numerous conversions both ways and never got problems.

Thanks for the reply. Because the audio is pretty bad I'm just scrapping this one. The next time I run across a PAL format I'll check it out and see what happens (as long as the audio is in a format I understand and that works :-)

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby Fonzzie31 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:20 am

liba52 is the official other name for AC3. The name was changed in the ffmpeg librairies. So we did the same thing with CxD
This audio won't be converted... The stream is copied.

Please give full log of the conversion.
-----------------------------------------
Lionel
Software tester / Technical Support
VSO-Software
www.vso-software.fr
-----------------------------------------
Fonzzie31

Postby JoeB » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:23 pm

Fonzzie31 wrote:liba52 is the official other name for AC3. The name was changed in the ffmpeg librairies. So we did the same thing with CxD
This audio won't be converted... The stream is copied.

Please give full log of the conversion.

I'm not sure what you mean by "This audio won't be converted... The stream is copied". Usually the audio line in the source info shows audio info and then shows my Max Gain setting. Does this mean that these audio files are converted? And are you saying that, because the liba52 is already an AC3 file it is only copied as is, and therefore will not be affected by the Max Gain setting? In other words, if the audio was poor to start with it will remain poor if it's already AC3/liba52?

I would provide the log if I could, but as I said I got rid of the file because the audio was so poor. I had checked the log like I do with all stuff I convert and didn't see any errors, and cleared the log like I do whenever I have a successful burn and don't need it any more or, as in this case, deleted the avi (otherwise it grows and grows and grows :-)

As I asked, is an audio file that is already AC3/liba52 a file that will not respond to the max gain setting? If so, there's not much that can be done if it was a poor convert in the first place. However, if it should react to a Max Gain setting, the next time I run across one I'll see what happens and, if I have a problem, keep and post the log.

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby JJ » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:08 pm

Audio in AC3 format is simply copied; no gain or anything else is done to it.
AC3 should be good enough to start with, and it is also much more simple to copy it over than to start checking file for channels and volume as AC3 can have any number of channels up from 2.
JJ

Return to ConvertXToDVD old version 2.x