[Solved] How to make subtitles conform to the settings.

Avi to DVD and other video conversions, such as wmv to DVD, mts to DVD, mkv to DVD and more. 2 pass encoding, multi-core support, and always more files supported.

Moderators: VSO Support, JJ, ckhouston, Phil, Forum admin

[Solved] How to make subtitles conform to the settings.

Postby Randwill » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:30 pm

I have an MKV video file with an accompanying ASS subtitle file. In some places the line of text extends off the left and right sides of the screen when I play the DVD I make with ConvertXToDVD.

Here is what I have tried:

1. Load video file.

2. Load subtitle file.

3. Go to Settings > Subtitles > Subtitle text rendering settings

4. In the Text rendering box I set Max length to 20.

5. I test the setting in the test area on the right. It works correctly. Click OK.

6. ConvertXToDVD converts then burns my disk.

Every time, no matter what I put in the Max length box, the subtitles on the DVD, when played in a stand alone DVD player, display exactly the same way, sometimes cutting off the beginning and ending of the line of type.

What is the secret to getting ConvertXToDVD to actually produce a DVD with the subtitles at the length that is set in the Subtitle text rendering area?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Randwill

Re: How to make subtitles conform to the settings.

Postby JJ » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:20 am

You need to be sure that your subtitle is in srt-text only format to use them with subtitle editor.
Conversion log should show what is in your mkv.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
JJ
VSO Fanatic

Postby Randwill » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:53 pm

I had already stripped the subtitles that came with it out of the MKV file leaving me with a subtitle-less video file. I then acquired the subtitles that matched as a separate file. The crucial piece of info was that I needed a SRT file and not an ASS file if I wanted to adjust the look of the subs, so thanks for the tip! I converted the ASS file to a SRT and was able to make a DVD with the subs looking the way I wanted them to.
Randwill

Postby ocoee96 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:05 pm

I'm glad I found this post - it deals with a vexing problem in ConvertX 4!
I found that even if I disabled the subtitle streams in an mkv file, and used my own srt subtitles, they always defaulted to the mkv settings when burned, regardless of what ConvertX was set to. When I converted the mkv to an avi file, and added my own srt subtitles, I was able to change the appearance of subtitles in ConvertX.
BUT it was not straightforward. I tried changing the subtitle appearance in the subtitle menu tab, and saving the new profile with a unique name. No joy! Then I noticed when I expanded the "Source File info" in the burn menu, that the subtitle stream was still set to "VSO default". I double clicked on the subtitle stream, selected my custom subtitle profile, and the result was (at last) what I had hoped for!
Live and learn...
:wink:
ocoee96

Return to ConvertXtoDVD version 4.x