Guide: How to watch movie with subtitles

old version of ConvertXtoDVD questions and problems (but most solved by using version 3)

Moderators: Cougar_II, ckhouston, JJ, Claire, Forum admin

Postby Claire » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:29 pm

can you post your log file please?
Claire
VSO Team Member

Postby redsil » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 pm

thank you very much for getting back to me.... After a few hours and reading manual about OLDER version of ConvertX I tried an instruction and it worked !!!! so I am all goood and happy! but thanks again
redsil

Postby GSpeed » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:33 pm

Hello! Not sure if this is the correct forum to post however, I've searched forums for a posible answer to my inquiry and I may not understand terminology used correctly. My inquiry is the following;
I've a video file that was recordedin English and dubbed in French. When file is converted and used, the video is viewed in French. Is there a way in settings to change or delete the French and have video play in English? Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.
GSpeed

Postby GSpeed » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Hello! Not sure if this is the correct forum to post however, I've searched forums for a posible answer to my inquiry and I may not understand terminology used correctly. My inquiry is the following;
I've a video file that was recordedin English and dubbed in French. When file is converted and used, the video is viewed in French. Is there a way in settings to change or delete the French and have video play in English? Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.
GSpeed

Postby JoeB » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:57 pm

GSpeed wrote:Hello! Not sure if this is the correct forum to post however, I've searched forums for a posible answer to my inquiry and I may not understand terminology used correctly. My inquiry is the following;

If you mean that the spoken words that you hear are French then that would be because a French audio stream is replacing the original English audio stream. Check the log file to see if the movie includes both the English and French audio streams and, if so, you should be able to select which stream you want to play with your DVD remote control. Or you can select only the English audio stream when bringing the movie into ConvertX and then converting again. If, however, it only includes the French audio stream, then there is nothing you can do except to try to find another source for the video that has the original English audio stream.

You'll find the log file in Help>Open Log File.

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby GSpeed » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:24 pm

JoeB,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, you are correct. I hear the spoken words in French. but believe it was dubbed over.(lip sync while watching video suggest that). Where in Log File, would I find what audio streams are present? Would it be located under TitleSet #, Log session stop, Encoding end, Encoding begin, Burn settings end, Burn settings begin?
I did locate Audio (1 stream) under Tree View . When I right click on Audio, add audio appears. When I click in the + and open drop down, English, AC3, 2 ch. and text: "English,AC3, 2 ch." appears. Thought this may be helpfull in determining my issue.
Again, thank you for your help and time.
GSpeed

Postby JoeB » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:03 am

GSpeed wrote:JoeB,
I did locate Audio (1 stream) under Tree View .

That tells you that your source video only includes the one audio stream, and it's the dubbed French stream that, of course, is synced to the English in the video, just like French or Spanish subtitles would be synced to the audio of a video in another language.

So your only other option is to find a source video that has the original English audio stream that the movie was filmed with.

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby GSpeed » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:57 am

JoeB,
I now understand. Check Audio (1 stream) under Tree View to view all audio streams to determine what is present. Thank you again for taking the time to post. I do appreciate it.
GSpeed

Postby JoeB » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:53 am

GSpeed wrote:JoeB,
I now understand. Check Audio (1 stream) under Tree View to view all audio streams to determine what is present. Thank you again for taking the time to post. I do appreciate it.

You're welcome. And keep in mind that if you do find another source video it may contain both the original English audio stream plus the French dubbed one, so when converting you can then decide to de-select the french one so it doesn't get added to the converted movie. It pays to read the source details of your titlesets to see what's actually there :-)

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby chthon » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Hello

I also have a question: I have a movie that is split in 3 files "movie1.avi" 60minutes , "movie2.avi" 60min, "movie3.avi" also 60 min. And I have one file movie.srt with the total duration of 180 minutes.
How can I convert all those files to one DVD with this movie.srt?

- I have trying to write a DVD and say "play titles one after the other". But when the second title start , subtiles stop playing.

- I was trying to start with the first file "movie1.avi" and use the "merge more files with this titleset". But again when the second avi started subtitles stoped again.

- I have trying to merge those 3 files to one .avi but I have problems of synchronization video and sound. I used Avimux for synchronization without success.

Any idea? :D
I am trying to avoid split the subtitle file to 3 files.

Thank you
chthon

Postby JoeB » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:32 pm

chthon wrote:Hello

I also have a question: I have a movie that is split in 3 files "movie1.avi" 60minutes , "movie2.avi" 60min, "movie3.avi" also 60 min. And I have one file movie.srt with the total duration of 180 minutes.
How can I convert all those files to one DVD with this movie.srt?

- I have trying to write a DVD and say "play titles one after the other". But when the second title start , subtiles stop playing.

- I was trying to start with the first file "movie1.avi" and use the "merge more files with this titleset". But again when the second avi started subtitles stoped again.

- I have trying to merge those 3 files to one .avi but I have problems of synchronization video and sound. I used Avimux for synchronization without success.

Any idea? :D
I am trying to avoid split the subtitle file to 3 files.

Thank you

If you have used software to merge the video files, try using the free Subtitle Workshop to synchronize the subs to the movie.

Alternatively, the best method is likely to split the 3 subtitles. The first split one should be in sync if it already is. You'll have to use Subtitle Workshop to sync the other two split subs.

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Previous

Return to ConvertXToDVD old version 2.x