ConvertXtoDVD v4.0/v4.1 WISH LIST

Avi to DVD and other video conversions, such as wmv to DVD, mts to DVD, mkv to DVD and more. 2 pass encoding, multi-core support, and always more files supported.

Moderators: VSO Support, JJ, ckhouston, Phil, Forum admin

ConvertXtoDVD v4.0/v4.1 WISH LIST

Postby lifeschool » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:59 pm

Hi,

I know you must have lots of ideas for things you want to add to your wonderful DVD mastering package, but just in case there are any hot topics waiting out there, I thought I'd start a wish list. Sorry if this is jumping the gun; I know wish lists can be such a pain.

My Wish list:
    A 'Play First' feature.. The ability to add a 'play first' option so that the first video in the list is always played BEFORE the menu appears, and is not part of the 'play all titles' option. This is a small feature I'm sure you'll agree, but I find it invaluable when producing corporate discs (whom like the logo to appear before anything else), discs which lead or fade in to the menu - like it's part of the film, and more recently I've worked on discs which open with the introduction piece and then go to a menu simply to select audio track settings where multi languages are used. Feature request 2532

A menu preview before burn. A quick render of the menus and their functions would be a great addition to me; even if the links only play back the first few seconds of a movie. This would enable me to navigate around the menu(s) and to make sure everything looks and works as it should before I compile the whole thing. I currently get around this issue by creating 'dummy' menus using very small clips which take no time to render, and then to save the result to hard drive for viewing.
    A drag and drop clip menu. I know that menu editing is a hot topic, and always shall be, but the idea of simply dragging and dropping a playlist item to a blank page; where it generates a small clip as a link, I think would be a great option. In practice, this would be very similar to how Black Mirror works but with the ability to drag these locations around so that the user could have up to 9 large titles, 16 medium or 30 small titles on screen at the same time.
    The ability to play part of a video. Sometimes I recieve a film which I would like to split down into clips. For example, one video I produced for a leading vaccation company wanted their brochure film broken down into sections. If I had the option to play only part of a video, it would get around the need to manually split movies up using alternative software, and have the full length film as well as the chopped clips on the same disc. Another example. I am currently editing a DVD for a high profile festival in the UK; during which three different days of footage was shot, as well as special extra footage of interviews and editorials. I wanted the option to play all three days as a combined movie (without the extras) or to select a day by itself. At the moment I have merged all three days on to one titleset to make one big film. I have then added the three days as separate films to allow the option to play them exclusively - which is a huge waste of disc space.
    Basic mode / kid mode The CX2D program gets more complex every day, but to make it accessable to my Son, a basic option would be appreciated. For example. Clicking on this button could open a simple screen of seven boxes. Clicking on each box would bring up a file browser to add titles; the name of which appears in the box when selected. Whole directories could be added as one title also - and CX2D would automatically make a slideshow of a directory containing pictures, or merge a directory containing video files to make one titleset. At the end of this process, the user can click 'convert' at the bottom of the screen and CX2D chooses all other variables. Basically - a 'let the program take care of everything' feature.
    Introduction overlay text. A friend of mine works for the National Grid (who maintain the electrical network in the UK), and his job is to make clips of damaged equipment which needs servicing/repairing. At the moment he uses an alternative package to overlay the date and time on to the beginning of each clip (of which there are hundreds) in order to keep an archive record on disc. A way to overlay a sample of text would make archival jobs such as this so much easier. This feature could also be used to introduce a short piece of film without having to make a subtitle file. An extended use of this feature may be to have the running time count up or count down on screen as the viewer watches - a bonus for video editors viewing 'rushes' and rough edits.
    Instant Convert. Dvd VOB files seem to be an extention of MPEG, and are a very specific file format. If the title is ALREADY in that format, (i.e. already VOBs or DVD compatable MPEGs) there is an opportunity to skip the convert process and to simply write the file directly to the disc / temp folder. As this is the media format I use to compile my films, this would save me a great deal of time. Feature request 1999

Ok, that's seven thoughts off the top of my head. So sorry if these features are already implimented in some form. :oops: And for any typos which crept in. I would love to get feedabck on any of these. :roll: Regards. Dan.
lifeschool

Postby Claire » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:51 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I hope you don't mind me having added links to the corresponding feature request for certain "wishes" that have already been formalized.

There may be other wishes that have already been entered in the Bug tracking system (BTS), but those were the ones that came into my mind. It would be nice to add the BTS links next to your wishes or list them in this thread if they exist already. Other forum participants might be able to help with this.

The ability to play part of a video.

Can you confirm if this is what you are looking for:
related to http://bugs.vso-software.fr/view.php?id=2627
or is want you want more advanced?
Claire
VSO Team Member

To Claire

Postby lifeschool » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:54 pm

Thanks for your help. I was unable to access the BTS links - for some reason, my basic forum login and password wasn't working with the bugs list forum; but I think you get the idea. Thanks again. :)
lifeschool

Postby Claire » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:01 pm

the name and password are not the same for the forums and BTS, but if you create an account (free) you will be able to read what is posted there :)
Claire
VSO Team Member

Postby lifeschool » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:38 pm

Thank you Claire. I've taken a look at the link you posted regarding 'The ability to play part of a video', and yes the idea I posted is similar but not quite the same.

The problem I have with my festival footage is that I want to play the same three films as ONE film (without any other titles being included) OR as separate films. In other words, I want the same footage to be accessable in two different ways. At the moment, I have merged all three days of footage to make one long movie, and then loaded the exact same footage in again to be able to play them as separate days. If there was a 'play part' feature, I could merge the three films into one film - and then choose which extractions I wanted to play independently as well.

As we speak, I'm trying to work out the best solution using 'merge title', but again, I'm having to wait a while for the results as there is no way to test the menu (menu preview) before compiling the whole thing. As I'm using a custom menu (by editing the .ini file), this process can be difficult.

Sorry to go on. I'll see what I can do.

Dan.
Last edited by lifeschool on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lifeschool

Postby ckhouston » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:47 pm

A 'Play First' feature can be done with a tip given by toaddub in http://forums.vso-software.fr/is-it-pos ... t7664.html
ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Postby lifeschool » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:32 pm

@ ckhouston

Thank you so much - I'll try that! I figured there would be a work-around for some of these ideas in lieu of an actual 'feature'. Thanks again.
lifeschool

Postby toaddub » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:52 pm

lifeschool wrote:A menu preview before burn.

This has been mentioned by some users before. I think this will go together when a menu editor is being developed, but it is a low priority right now so it will be a long time before you see it's happening.

The ability to play part of a video.....
I wanted the option to play all three days as a combined movie (without the extras) or to select a day by itself. At the moment I have merged all three days on to one titleset to make one big film. I have then added the three days as separate films to allow the option to play them exclusively - which is a huge waste of disc space.

I understand what you are asking. This is the advanced stage of dvd authoring that you're wanting CXD to turn into. There are some mid to high level authoring package that are able to do this already. Some commercial DVDs also have this design. Basically, the ability to select an individual episode or a play-all episodes where all the episodes are in one titleset. This is known as a multi-PGC title where the same video is being reused, thus not doubling the space, but for different purpose.

This feature request is doable but I'm not sure how it fits in with the current GUI. Perhaps an enhancement to the merge editor is needed for this.

Introduction overlay text.

This is the job of a video editor. I don't think CXD is designed for that. I don't think many users would want CXD to turn into a complicated all-in-one conversion product.

A simpler alternative is to use subtitles being turned on by default.
toaddub

Postby ckhouston » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:14 am

lifeschool wrote:The ability to play part of a video.....
I wanted the option to play all three days as a combined movie (without the extras) or to select a day by itself. At the moment I have merged all three days on to one titleset to make one big film. I have then added the three days as separate films to allow the option to play them exclusively - which is a huge waste of disc space.

Some menus like blackmirror have a Play All button that will play all titlesets consecutively even if the Return to title menu after titleset playback option is checked. That should do pretty much what you want although there will be a slight pause between titles during playback.

Search for Location=ML_PLAY_ALL in the menu INI file to find which menus that function is included in. You should be able to add the function to any menu if needed though.

And, if you like a particular menu design but don't want its extra menus like root and chapters, you can eliminate them easily -- see the guide in the Guides + Manuals forum.
ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Postby Claire » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:53 am

thanks for you information about the "The ability to play part of a video". Your request is much more complex than what I think we will consider developing.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Postby thailand » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:13 pm

I would like an option to UPMIX 2.0 sound to 5.1
thailand

Postby hansK » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:42 pm

Hi thailand,

well, you have not looked good enough.
Since the release of ConvertXtoDVD v3.x.x.x (18 months ago) , you have that option and is also in v4.x.x.x.

BUT

if you select that, you won';t get a real 5.1 sound. Through a matrix the 2 channel source audo will be distributed over 6 channels. The source file (2.0) does not contain the 6 mixed audio channels information.
hansK
VSO Fanatic

Postby lifeschool » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi, I've had a couple more ideas also, so here we go again.
    On-The-Fly / Pre-convert. This may be an unlikely option but... if like me you like to delve into all the options CX has to offer, the user may take as long to alter all the values in the program as the actual converting process. Would it be possible to convert each video separately on a users request? For example, after finalising the variables for 'video 1', would it be possible to have that video pre-converted on-the-fly while the user gets busy changing the options for 'video 2' and so on? By the time the user gets done changing all the options, the 'convert' button would then add the menu and quickly add the pre-converted videos - cutting down total wait time by up to 90%. This pre-convert would also be helpful for pre-rendering the menu to test it before the final compile.
    Source Convert. Even though CX2D does an amazing job with its processing - among the best in the business I might add - there are times when the dreaded audio sync problem still arrises - most often when using raw AVIs. By converting my source files into another format (e.g MPG) before importing them into CX, these sync issues disappear. Would it be possible to have CX convert these files at source (e.g. AVI to MPG, or from / to any other format) within the program as part of the overall convertion process, and so irradicate audio sync issues forever?
    Copy Protection. Not everyone is as familiar with the way DVDs work as we are. Some people have no idea how to 'crack' a DVDs copy protection so that they may copy it themselves. I am just about to launch a commercial product, and with this issue in mind I wondered whether it would be possible to add the option to have some kind of protection system on the disc? I know coming up with a brand new way to protect discs would be an endless/thankless option, so how about using something 'off-the-peg' which will still be enough to fool the naive?
    Play source at full screen. I know this is a bit nit-picky, but I've always wondered why CX can't actually play videos. I know the program isn't designed for this as such; and NO, I don't want CX to turn into an all-singing all-dancing system heavy program which Nero and Realplayer have become; but wouldn't this be an idea?
    Variable Independant Compression. This is unlikely to get past the drawing board for at least another few full revisions, but would it be possible to select the amount of video compression applied to each video? For example, having the main 'movie' with the least compression, and the extras with the most compression - so that the main movie looks even better. Having said that, the current program does a great all-round job! - so it's just an idea.
    On screen System Priority Setting. Now that CX2D finally has access to all my processor cores, I find my system resources are slowed. The number of times I've had to go into third-party software to lower the CX priority over, say, the internet - is quite unreal. Some convertions take an hour, so having access to the system resources while we wait can be vital. Would it be possible to have a 'background processing' option or some way to lower the task as a system priority after the program begins its convertion?

Introduction overlay text.

This is the job of a video editor. I don't think CXD is designed for that. I don't think many users would want CXD to turn into a complicated all-in-one conversion product.

I brought this up because CX2D is already being used by the National Grid as a licenced product to all its company laptops. My friend uses it for archiving footage. If CX2D can overlay subtitles on screen then perhaps it can overlay any words at the users request? I know a few people who would love to watermark their videos so that they cannot be so easily pirated. Of course, the next stage of this application would be the ability to overlay anything! - such as frames and borders.

Ok, I'm so sorry again if I'm being a pain. Who needs a smart arse? It's easy to be an armchair critic. Still, if any of these ideas turn this program into an essential worldwide product then I've done my bit I suppose. You'd also be helping me in the work that I do. :) Kindest Regards. Dan.
lifeschool

Postby ckhouston » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:40 pm

Source Convert. Even though CX2D does an amazing job with its processing - among the best in the business I might add - there are times when the dreaded audio sync problem still arrises - most often when using raw AVIs. By converting my source files into another format (e.g MPG) before importing them into CX, these sync issues disappear. Would it be possible to have CX convert these files at source (e.g. AVI to MPG, or from / to any other format) within the program as part of the overall convertion process, and so irradicate audio sync issues forever?

Don't think that would solve the problem. CX2D is already converting your AVI to MPEG2 in VOB format, so what would preconverting by CX2D to pure MPEG solve -- the primary difference between MPG and VOB is file headers? There are other issues that cause synch problems too like RAW copying the audio when the converted video length is a few seconds different from expected video length and from audio length.

Variable Independant Compression. This is unlikely to get past the drawing board for at least another few full revisions, but would it be possible to select the amount of video compression applied to each video? For example, having the main 'movie' with the least compression, and the extras with the most compression - so that the main movie looks even better. Having said that, the current program does a great all-round job! - so it's just an idea.

No. CX2D does a constant quantization, not traditional VBR, encode when the conversion does not fill the DVD. Controlling compression with a CQ encode forces it to become more like traditional VBR. Read

http://forums.vso-software.fr/2-how-man ... t7894.html

http://forums.vso-software.fr/3-size-qu ... t7852.html

Maybe different encoding options could be assigned to each titleset, but the program author has said in the past that there is no good way of implementing that.
ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Postby thailand » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:01 pm

hansK wrote:Hi thailand,

well, you have not looked good enough.
Since the release of ConvertXtoDVD v3.x.x.x (18 months ago) , you have that option and is also in v4.x.x.x.

BUT

if you select that, you won';t get a real 5.1 sound. Through a matrix the 2 channel source audo will be distributed over 6 channels. The source file (2.0) does not contain the 6 mixed audio channels information.

I know that but i get only sound in the front l + r speaker and the center speaker.
The rear speakers there i hear nothing...
thailand

Postby JJ » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:37 pm

lifeschool wrote:Variable Independant Compression. This is unlikely to get past the drawing board for at least another few full revisions, but would it be possible to select the amount of video compression applied to each video? For example, having the main 'movie' with the least compression, and the extras with the most compression - so that the main movie looks even better. Having said that, the current program does a great all-round job! - so it's just an idea.

This one has been asked before, it might happen.

lifeschool wrote:On screen System Priority Setting. Now that CX2D finally has access to all my processor cores, I find my system resources are slowed. The number of times I've had to go into third-party software to lower the CX priority over, say, the internet - is quite unreal. Some convertions take an hour, so having access to the system resources while we wait can be vital. Would it be possible to have a 'background processing' option or some way to lower the task as a system priority after the program begins its convertion?

You can set how many cores are available to CxD, and you can set priority already from top menu, even while converting. What more do you want?
JJ
VSO Fanatic

Postby lifeschool » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:09 pm

You can set how many cores are available to CxD, and you can set priority already from top menu, even while converting. What more do you want?

OOps, a bit of an oversight there on my part. So sorry about that. My idea originally was to have a slider at the foot of the main screen to combine all speed-up features; but as its in the menu (I overlooked it), then it's there already.
lifeschool

safe area

Postby retroman77 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:15 pm

put the old safe area in "set output video resize method" window
new one is transparent and u cant realy see it
retroman77

Re: safe area

Postby edmantay » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:52 am

retroman77 wrote:put the old safe area in "set output video resize method" window new one is transparent and u cant realy see it

...and have some consistency about what you declare as safe: the new safe area is 80 pixels closer to centre on all boundaries than the old one!
edmantay

Postby saulob » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:05 am

'Save' and 'Save as'

http://forums.vso-software.fr/save-and- ... t6999.html

It's not that hard.
saulob

Next

Return to ConvertXtoDVD version 4.x