convert mkv to blu-ray disc?

Avi to DVD and other video conversions, such as wmv to DVD, mts to DVD, mkv to DVD and more. 2 pass encoding, multi-core support, and always more files supported.

Moderators: Maggie, JJ, ckhouston, Phil, Forum admin

mma_dynamite

convert mkv to blu-ray disc?

Post by mma_dynamite » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:58 pm

can i convert a 12.8 gb mkv file to a blu-ray disc , if so what steps should i take if i have convert x to dvd 3 ? - any help would be appreciated.

JoeB
VSO Fanatic

Re: convert mkv to blu-ray disc?

Post by JoeB » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:05 am

mma_dynamite wrote:can i convert a 12.8 gb mkv file to a blu-ray disc , if so what steps should i take if i have convert x to dvd 3 ? - any help would be appreciated.
You'd have known the answer if you had used the search function of the forum. The program is called ConvertX2DVD. When they come out with a program that will convert to Bluray it will likely be called ConvertX2Bluray.

However, you can convert your mkv file to regular DVD if you want to, using ConvertX.

Regards,

JoeB

mma_dynamite

Post by mma_dynamite » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:47 pm

JoeB wrote:
mma_dynamite wrote:can i convert a 12.8 gb mkv file to a blu-ray disc , if so what steps should i take if i have convert x to dvd 3 ? - any help would be appreciated.
You'd have known the answer if you had used the search function of the forum. The program is called ConvertX2DVD. When they come out with a program that will convert to Bluray it will likely be called ConvertX2Bluray.

However, you can convert your mkv file to regular DVD if you want to, using ConvertX.

Regards,

JoeB

the reason why i was asking is because a 12.8 gb file is to big for a dvd but the blu-ray has more space. i mainly wanted to know if would burn to blu-ray for size issues only not for high def. i noticed in the menu under encoding you have the choices for dvd 5/9 and custom. i guess the question i was asking is if it could be done using the custom mode ? thanks

JoeB
VSO Fanatic

Post by JoeB » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:16 pm

mma_dynamite wrote: the reason why i was asking is because a 12.8 gb file is to big for a dvd but the blu-ray has more space. i mainly wanted to know if would burn to blu-ray for size issues only not for high def. i noticed in the menu under encoding you have the choices for dvd 5/9 and custom. i guess the question i was asking is if it could be done using the custom mode ? thanks
The file size of the input file is irrelevant. The input file is converted to DVD format and compressed as necessary to fit within the chosen DVD (i.e., either a DVD5 or DVD9). Depending on the runtime of the video, you might get better quality output using a DVD9 but for most people there isn't really a noticeable difference when viewed on most TV sets so the less expensive DVD5 works just fine.

But you will need to learn about the proper encoding settings for different runtimes. Basically, funtimes up to 80 minutes should use the SP setting, up to 160 minutes the MP setting, and anything longer than that the LP setting. But you should read the sticky near the top of the forum regarding Answers to most of your conversion questions to understand what's going on.

Regards,

JoeB

StompM

Post by StompM » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:20 am

I have burnt a few blu-ray discs with ConvertX2DVD 4. The process I did; in settings, go to the dvd section that allows you to choose DVD-5, or DVD-9. You can look around there, and there is a custom DVD size. Move that to a reasonable size (take 1gb off of the Bluray's advertised file size to ensure no errors for structure (I don't know the exact file size to use, I just went with this idea). Granted the burn takes quite a bit longer as well as the compressing movies selected. I chose to put 50 movies on a single BluRay. I don't know if you want to try to shove multiple BluRay images on a single BluRay, but I used the process above, and it is pretty neat. I'm not sure about the compatibility of your BluRay player to read the BluRay. I tested these on my PC, same one I burnt it with, it worked well.