Video Quality

Help with Bluray Converter and Convert DVD to mp4 and other formats. strip Bluray, convert to Blu-ray or avchd, convert blu ray to mkv, avi, copy DVDs and much more.

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

bertgripper

Video Quality

Post by bertgripper »

I am a bit confused re the quality of the results when converting from br to dvd9. I used The 300 & Sin City . I used Any Dvd HD to rip & clone to burn at 4 x. I checked the disc's with image burn and they come back with no errors . I have a new Panasonic 42" plasma & Panasonic blu ray player. The image when playing back on the telly is sharp and lip sync is
correct the colour is also good and it runs without any stutter this is on DL
disc's so not too squashed .But I get weird lines on some edges.I could post you a disc for you to have a look at if it helps..I suppose the words
Anti-aliasing & Moire come to mind... Using latest version..Progress does take a bit of time.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hi,

We have same problem here with one our test TV.
The problem seems to be with TV or DVD home player scaling (when resizing from DVD resolution to 1920x1080)

Try to change some TV/DVD home player settings.

What do you think about quality when you play DVD on your PC?

Thanks.
bertgripper

Post by bertgripper »

Cedric. I am having a look now ,it looks good on a pc monitor I will pass the disc to some friends to check, also I will get in touch with Panasonic support.
bertgripper

Post by bertgripper »

Hello Cedric,I got in touch with Panasonic they did not offer any help,they said if I have no problems with shop bought disc's then it must be a fault with the authoring process.......I use a media server called TWONKY that works via DLNA with the tv, if I load the vobs into this and view them on the screen they show without the wierd effects.So upscaling from the blu ray player could be causing the problem. I can't turn it off so I will probably stick with ripping DVD's burning them on DL9 and let the player upsacle. :?:
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hi bertgripper,

You're right, after the tests you done, the problem seems to be with your Blu-ray player upscaling.
Converting to DVD9 will not fix your problem I think.

Have you tried to play commercial DVDs with your Blu-ray player?

Thanks.
zebadee

Post by zebadee »

bertgripper wrote:Hello Cedric,I got in touch with Panasonic they did not offer any help,they said if I have no problems with shop bought disc's then it must be a fault with the authoring process.......I use a media server called TWONKY that works via DLNA with the tv, if I load the vobs into this and view them on the screen they show without the wierd effects.So upscaling from the blu ray player could be causing the problem. I can't turn it off so I will probably stick with ripping DVD's burning them on DL9 and let the player upsacle. :?:
Hi :)
You can limit settings.
On remote control
Press "Setup" button > Select "TV/Device" > Select "HDMI Connection" > Select "HDMI Format"
You should be able to select output from 576p/480p.
I don't know if you've already tried this.
It makes a marginal difference on my set up.
But then I am not having the same problem as you.
bertgripper

Post by bertgripper »

Thanks for the reply chaps.Looks like Russia got the World Cup.
Anyway the problem lies with ripped blu ray's it's like the player/tv upscales something that should not be upscaled :ie it's HD already.When I rip a DVD & burn to dvd5 or dvd9 it upscales and it looks great. I will have another look at the setting and try to drop it down,but if this is the answer I will stick with DVD'S for ripping and burning and buy/watch blu rays..I will have go at creating a 1080 AVI and putting it on a USB stick to do a test I think the player should play it.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hi,

Please, can you try the last beta version I’ve just published :

http://forums.vso-software.fr/vso-blu-r ... 12998.html

You should use the "HQ" stamped profiles (PS3 or mkv 720p & 1080p) to have best quality available!

I’m waiting for your feedback…

Thank you!