VHS to Blu-Ray Conversion

Convert to HD, convert Blu-ray , blu-ray menu, Burn bluray disks, create blu-ray disk, create AVCHD, Create custom blu-ray disk with menu

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

Slider

VHS to Blu-Ray Conversion

Post by Slider »

Hello,

I'm working to convert a set of VHS tapes into blu ray discs. I've already successfully converted the tapes into MP4, and they play great on my computer.

I'm looking for any advice or help on the conversion process with ConvertXtoHD. I burned one disc yesterday, and overall it is looking OK. The video quality is a bit worse than I was expecting. I've attached the log here, as well as some random questions:

1. I added almost 20 mp4 files to the project for Disc 1. I kept adding files so long as the program said "Best Quality", when I went over and the program said "Acceptable", I dropped back a few videos until it went back to best quality. Should I bring down the number of videos for a blu-ray 25GB disc to improve quality?

2. This first attempt I used the Upscaling filter "Lanczos", per the advice on this message board. For VHS tapes, would it be better to use Linear?

3. Any other settings changes you'd recommend?

Thanks for any help here -
Attachments
Conversion.log
(76.46 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
Claire
VSO Team Member

Re: VHS to Blu-Ray Conversion

Post by Claire »

If you want the quality to be better, or to get the best quality possible

Keep the encoding profile set to automatic but next to the street light/ quality advisor in the main interface only allow it to remain on "short project" remove any videos if it switches to medium so you get back to short.
That alone should make a difference.

I'm not sure this will change anything but to take things one step further, if your project is set up auto - short. Then change the target size to something even bigger, like 25% bigger in size, this way you will be sure no compression will be applied during the conversion (to force the file to fit on the target size)

I don't have any personal recommendations for the resize filters, many people do like lanczos, there are a few other forum posts by users on these settings
Attachments
Snap8566.jpg