subtitles and rar files

discussions about ConvertXtoDVD latest versions, avi to dvd video converter software, burns videos from your PC to watch on your DVD with menus and subtitles.

Moderators: Cougar_II, ckhouston, JJ, Claire, Forum admin

subtitles and rar files

Postby bbtenka » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:22 pm

Hello, lately I've been having trouble with avi files with rar files included among the subtitle files. The movie & subtitle files are in the same folder with movie.avi and movie.srt and play fine in WMP, but when there's a rar file also the subtitles do not show up under the subtitle stream when I add the video file to convert. When I try to add them manually the subtitle stream stays at zero. For example, one set of files has an avi file, a subtitle file (35.2 kb), a rar file (330 kb), a subtitle file (1.59 mb) extracted from the rar file, and a text document. I'm not sure what kind of subtitle it is, it just says subtitle file under properties so I guess it's an srt file. I just tried it again but there's no log produced, should I try to convert it without the subtitles showing in the subtitle stream to produce a log? I'm using version 3.1.3.40.

I've tried different things and noticed today that for one avi clip (that came with a subtitle file and a rar file), if I extract the rar file, keep the 2nd subtitle file that came out of it in the folder, and then remove the rar file from the folder, the subtitles show up in the subtitle stream in convertx. But when I tried that on the other files I've had trouble with the subtitles still wouldn't register on those.

Also, I have a kind of movie file I've never seen before, xvid-yyddr, and when I tried to open it in convertx as an experiment it said it can't be converted. How do these types of files work?
bbtenka

Postby Claire » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:58 pm

Hello,

I have no idea about "xvid-yyddr" files.
try and play it with vlc first and see if it accepts it:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

As for the subtitles, yes you need to extract first from the .rar file.

You can also try opening them in notepad to see if they look like standard srt files.

Perhaps certain of the files you have are not supported by ConvertXtoDVD and could be converted by using a subtitle tool.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Re: subtitles and rar files

Postby JoeB » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:41 pm

bbtenka wrote:For example, one set of files has an avi file, a subtitle file (35.2 kb), a rar file (330 kb), a subtitle file (1.59 mb) extracted from the rar file, and a text document. I'm not sure what kind of subtitle it is, it just says subtitle file under properties so I guess it's an srt file.

The 35.2kb subtitle is a .srt file. As Claire said, you can open it in Notepad to see if it looks good, or get the free Subtitle Workshop from Uroworks software (v.2.51, not the v.4 beta) and open it in Workshop and check it out. However, if it plays fine with the movie in WMP then it should be OK.

The 1.59mb file you extracted from the rar is definitely not a .srt subtitle. If it is a subtitle it's likely an ssa or ass subtitle or part of a sub/idx subtitle pair. ConvertX works best with .srt subtitles, so you should stick with the .srt file.

Also, if you can see the file extension of the movie.avi file and movie.srt file but can't see a file extension for the 1.59mb file you extracted from the rar file then there would seem to be something wrong with it.

Why ConvertX doesn't load the .srt subtitle just because there's a rar file in the folder is something I can't explain. If I were you I'd just put the .avi and .srt in a separate folder and load from there.

Also, have you read the text document? Perhaps it will tell you exactly what's supposed to be in the rar file.

bbtenka wrote:Also, I have a kind of movie file I've never seen before, xvid-yyddr, and when I tried to open it in convertx as an experiment it said it can't be converted. How do these types of files work?

Are you saying that the extension of the video is .xvid-yyddr? If so, try renaming the exension to just .xvid or even .avi and see if it plays.

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby zlatan24 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:59 am

I have many tools on my PC. But once one of them was luckily used. It saved all my time and data. Moreover this application might help in any question in my humble opinion - fix a .rar file.
zlatan24

Return to ConvertXtoDVD old version 3.x