The standard Search box at the top right corner will do a search of all 20 plus forums on this board. It searches all text in titles and messages. Very common words like try or get and many words used in logs will be ignored but you can include them in your search text if you want.
The standard search will give good results most of the time, but you can refine the results by clicking Advanced search under the standard Search box. That will take you to a query form like shown below that has many options you can use to narrow your search. Advanced search will also ignore common words.
The instructions given there are fairly clear but here are some tips, tips from others are welcome, and you can ask questions if you need clarification.
1. Search for keywords: Leave spaces between words but not between words and their qualifiers like +, -, |, [, ] or *. Put a list of words separated by | into brackets means to place the search text with | inside brackets, [recognize|recognized] for example. The wildcard placeholder, *, can be very useful, recogniz* will find recognize, recognized or recognizing for example.
2. Search in Forums: The search will be done in all forums if you do not choose one. Clicking on any one will restrict the search to that forum only.
3. Search subforums: There are currently no subforums so this does not apply.
4. Search within: Gives opportunity to further refine the number of results by restricting the search to certain areas of topics.
5. Limit results to previous: Restricts the results to a previous time period chosen from the drop down list.