Seam carving free download software and demos

VSO Inspector, VSO Clean, Windows Movie Maker, and more . . .

Moderators: Cougar_II, Claire, Benjamin, felicia, Forum admin

Seam carving free download software and demos

Postby felicia » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 am

What is seam carving?
(developed by Shai Avidan and Ariel Shamir) is a method for content-aware image resizing, which means that you can shrink or enlarge an image while the important features stay unaffected.
Seam carving publication
or Wikipedia description

So, what is a seam?
A seam is like a one water-drop that slides down the mountain, like the water-drop the seam takes the less energy resistant path avoiding the edges of the objects in the image. If you remove one seam you shrink the image by one pixel.

So I removed one seam now what?
Easy, you remove another, and then another until you reach the desired size or you can add seams until you expand the image enough.

Can I do anything else with seams?
Yes! You can use a mask to mark which portions of the image you want to protect or remove as shown below.

So I can remove everything on a picture?
Not really, you have to understand the seams a little, if you try to remove an object that takes up half of the image there’ll be trouble, but the only way to know if you try, so have fun.

It’s that all?
No, you can also make caricature/cartoon portraits, but we’ll see that another day ;)

You can download VSO Seam carving's Download free seam carving software - here

New - You can watch an overview of the program Here.
Click on the image above to watch the video.

Source image

Energy image with a seam following the less energy resistant path -yes seams are lazy ;)
Last edited by felicia on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:15 am, edited 6 times in total.
felicia
VSO Team Member

A day at the beach

Postby felicia » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:39 pm

Removing objects

Here we have an animation where we remove one book from the shelf each frame.

Next we remove the street sign from the picture.
Before:
After:

We can also remove the recycling bin from the next picture
Before :
After :

Finally we can remove the lights from this picture.
Before :
After :
Image[/b]
felicia
VSO Team Member

Postby felicia » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:44 pm

A day at the beach

We start from this image

First lets see an animation of the process

The same animation with the actual seams

Notice the green mask covering the bar in the second frame ? thanks to it there won't be any deformation.

We can also make the image wider, from 800px to 1400px.
with one step :

With two steps :

Or with 3 steps :

And the same transformation with a normal stretch :

If we compare the 3 steps output with the stretched image, we see that seam carving keeps the objects proportions.

Finally, if we want we can remove the persons from the image with the help of the mask (red parts of the image)

1 person removed :

2 peolple removed :

3 peolple removed :

That concludes our day at the beach.
felicia
VSO Team Member

Postby felicia » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:16 am

New - You can watch an overview of the program Here.
Click on the image above to watch the video.
felicia
VSO Team Member

Postby JoeB » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:26 pm

It works very well. However, would it be possible to add a Save As option to save in some lossless format - e.g., png or tif? Jpeg is lossy, and the only workaround at present is to screen capture the output and paste into a graphic editor.

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby felicia » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:17 am

For now the developement of the seam carving tool is on halt, but as soon as it's restarted your request will be included.

Thank you for your interest.

Br,

Felicià
felicia
VSO Team Member

Postby toaddub » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:11 pm

I've been trying this seam carving tool with no success, even with the day at the beach on small parts. e.g., if I try removing the trash can and the shirt by the bicycle on the right, the poles on the left are all skewed and messed up. I thought it would be content-aware and fill up the removed object.

I tried some of my photos to remove some of the unwanted objects, like people in the background, and it cuts that portion of the picture and squeezed the rest of the picture in. The tool also gave an exception error when I tried to remove an object at the edge of the photo.

Anyway to work around this?

When will development be restarted, because this is a very useful tool if I can get it to work correctly?
toaddub

Postby carlobee » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:52 am

this is awesome! :)
carlobee

Postby felicia » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:24 am

toaddub wrote:I've been trying this seam carving tool with no success, even with the day at the beach on small parts. e.g., if I try removing the trash can and the shirt by the bicycle on the right, the poles on the left are all skewed and messed up. I thought it would be content-aware and fill up the removed object.

I tried some of my photos to remove some of the unwanted objects, like people in the background, and it cuts that portion of the picture and squeezed the rest of the picture in. The tool also gave an exception error when I tried to remove an object at the edge of the photo.

When will development be restarted, because this is a very useful tool if I can get it to work correctly?

Hello,

The seam carving process can only remove complete seams from an image, so if you want to remove the trash can between the poles the seams will have to cut trhought the poles at some point.

Seam carving is as powerfull as it's sensitive, so somethings it can't do, some things it can do with lots of work from the user and some are really easily done. For example, in the books animation some were done in 5 seconds others in five minutes.

There are no news as for when the developement will be restarted.

Thanks for your interest.
felicia
VSO Team Member

Postby felicia » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:25 am

carlobee wrote:this is awesome! :)

Thanks
felicia
VSO Team Member

Postby JoeB » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:50 pm

toaddub wrote:I've been trying this seam carving tool with no success, even with the day at the beach on small parts. e.g., if I try removing the trash can and the shirt by the bicycle on the right, the poles on the left are all skewed and messed up. I thought it would be content-aware and fill up the removed object.

You have to remember that the main purpose behind seam carving is to be able to change the size of the image, and the aspect ratio, without distorting the important features of the image. Removing objects that might be considered "important features" (i.e., objects like the garbage can, shirt, etc.) but really aren't is just one thing that can be done in the process, but it necessarily changes the aspect ratio of the image. The idea is to be able to take an image of a particular aspect ratio and stretch or squeeze it to fit into a pre-determined space (like on a particular part of a web page, for example). Another use is to move people or objects that might be separated by unnecessary space closer together in the image for a better composition. Your example of removing an unwanted person from an image (which might leave too much space between a person on the left and the right, for example) is a good case for seam carving to move those other two people closer together.

When your main purpose is simply to remove objects from an image (like the shirt and garbage can) but you want to preserve the aspect ratio, etc, you need a clone-type tool. For that I use a plugin that works with graphic programs like Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop. My plugin of choice for that is the Alien Skin Image Doctor Smart Fill plugin. However, Image Doctor is a bundled plugin (comes with several other plugins besides Smart Fill that I don't use) and fairly expensive. It does excellent work however.

I have attached the beach picture with the shirt, garbage can, pole and wires, man in background, and objects at lower right all removed with Smart Fill. The result is an image that is clean and uncluttered, without distracting objects, and lets the eye focus on the true purpose of the image - two people enjoying themselves on a wide expanse of beach. The image retains its original size and aspect ratio.

P.S. Using a clone tool in conjunction with seam carving can often be the best way to improve an image. If a clone tool is first used to remove unwanted objects and, in the process, leaves spaces that are uncluttered (like more sky, beach, trees/bushes, etc., these uncluttered spaces make excellent seams that won't show distortion if the image is then widened or narrowed with seam carving.

Regards,

JoeB
Attachments
beach_image_doctor2.jpg
beach_image_doctor2.jpg (93.31 KiB) Viewed 25709 times
JoeB

Postby toaddub » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:34 pm

felicia wrote:The seam carving process can only remove complete seams from an image, so if you want to remove the trash can between the poles the seams will have to cut trhought the poles at some point.

But in your demonstration, the 3 person images are under the poles as well. The poles are not being distorted upon removal.

I thought if I have the trash can removed, I can protect the 3 left poles, using the green color selection, so they don't become distorted but it is not so. I'm hoping that seam carving would include content-aware fill, similar to GIMP's Resynthesizer plugin or Photoshop'S Content Aware Fill.
toaddub

Postby toaddub » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:39 pm

JoeB wrote:You have to remember that the main purpose behind seam carving is to be able to change the size of the image, and the aspect ratio, without distorting the important features of the image. Removing objects that might be considered "important features" (i.e., objects like the garbage can, shirt, etc.) but really aren't is just one thing that can be done in the process, but it necessarily changes the aspect ratio of the image. The idea is to be able to take an image of a particular aspect ratio and stretch or squeeze it to fit into a pre-determined space (like on a particular part of a web page, for example). Another use is to move people or objects that might be separated by unnecessary space closer together in the image for a better composition. Your example of removing an unwanted person from an image (which might leave too much space between a person on the left and the right, for example) is a good case for seam carving to move those other two people closer together.

When your main purpose is simply to remove objects from an image (like the shirt and garbage can) but you want to preserve the aspect ratio, etc, you need a clone-type tool. For that I use a plugin that works with graphic programs like Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop. My plugin of choice for that is the Alien Skin Image Doctor Smart Fill plugin. However, Image Doctor is a bundled plugin (comes with several other plugins besides Smart Fill that I don't use) and fairly expensive. It does excellent work however.

Your description is similar to Gimp's Liquid Rescale plugin. I'm aware of what seam carving can do, but it also includes the ability to fill in the "perceived" info from removed object by interpolating the surrounding removed object. The whole purpose of using seam carving is so you don't have to use the clone tool - it would take too much time and might not even look that good.

I know I can use the clone tool for this particular "Day at the Beach" picture because the background is very simple. The clone tool can also be used to remove the people, especially the person holding the rings with no distortion on the 2 rings. If you look at the picture above the 2 rings are distorted by using seam carving.

I have some photos that have the wrong date stamped on the picture by the camera, and I'm hoping that seam carving would be able to remove the date, without distorting the rest of the important image, or change the aspect ratio. I'm hoping to avoid using the clone and healing brush tool because that would be very tedious task and might not look good.

Take a look at some of the content-aware fill tool videos. It beats using the clone tool.
Gimp's Resynthesizer Tool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AoobQQB ... re=related

Photoshop CS5 Content-Aware Fill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ScWu7pG ... re=related
toaddub

Postby JoeB » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:31 am

toaddub wrote:Your description is similar to Gimp's Liquid Rescale plugin.

No it isn't, if you're referring to my description of the Alien Skin Image Fill plugin. It is, instead, similar to the Gimps Image Resynthesizer and to the CS5 Content Aware Fill tool.

Your problem is that you are mixing up two completely different tools, and you seem to be thinking they'll both do the same job. There is a big difference between how a content aware scaling/resizing tool works and how a content aware fill tools works. Neither of the tools to which you provided links do scaling - they only do fill.

The VSO tool to which this thread is dedicated is a "scaling" tool, not a "fill" tool!

CS4 has a Content Aware Scaling tool. That is completely different from the upcoming CS5 Content Aware Fill tool (which is more like the Alien Skin Smart Fill tool, albeit it will likely be better than the Alien Skill product because Image Fill has been around for some years and not improved).

toaddub wrote:I'm aware of what seam carving can do, but it also includes the ability to fill in the "perceived" info from removed object by interpolating the surrounding removed object.

It can only do that without distortion of other nearby stuff if there is a relatively clean seam. Seam carving works by identifying connected paths the content of which contain low energy pixels, and the seams will be either in the generally vertical direction or the generally horizontal direction. Content aware fill doesn't care about seams at all, but identifies the actual content of the nearby pixels and attempts to mimic them in the area selected to be removed/filled. It has the extra advantage over a basic clone tool in that it also "melds" the content, making it seem seamless (but that's NOT the same "seam" as the term is used in "seam carving"!)

Think of it this way:

Both a hammer tool and a wrench can be used to drive a nail. But the hammer does it more efficiently. And only the wrench can be used to turn a bolt head. The hammer can't do that at all.

Both the content-aware fill tool and the content-aware resizer can be used to remove objects. But the content-aware fill tool does it more efficiently. And only the content-aware resizer can resize/rescale the image. The content-aware fill tool can't do that at all.

The tools are different because they were created for different purposes. You need both to do both jobs efficiently and well.

toaddub wrote:The whole purpose of using seam carving is so you don't have to use the clone tool - it would take too much time and might not even look that good.

Not so. Did you not read the first sentence of the first post by felicia at the top of the forum? It states:

"[Seam carving], (developed by Shai Avidan and Ariel Shamir) is a method for content-aware image resizing, which means that you can shrink or enlarge an image while the important features stay unaffected.

The main purpose of seam carving is to remove seams and to allow image resizing with changes to image aspect ratio without distorting important image content (as I said in my previous post). In fact, the actual name for "seam carving" is Content Aware Image Resizing (or CAIR), and that is the algorithm that Adobe licensed to create their Content Aware Scaling tool in CS4. It was specifically developed for image resizing (otherwise known as image scaling), and was NOT developed to be used as a fill tool. That just happens to be a desirable side effect - one that works if there are proper seams available, and doesn't work well if the seams aren't available in the image.

toaddub wrote:I know I can use the clone tool for this particular "Day at the Beach" picture because the background is very simple.

I did not, and would not, suggest using the clone tool of Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro to clean up the beach photo. I said to use a "clone-type" tool, and specifically mentioned Image Doctor. It is NOT a clone tool but a content aware fill tool. By "clone-type tool" I meant to suggest a tool that was not a clone tool but was similar in that it took surrounding content and placed it in the area of the object to be removed, which is one thing a clone tool can do. But by mentioning Image Fill I was trying to point out that I meant an advanced type of tool, one which used content aware algorithms to achieve the result. Did you not check out that plugin to see what it did?

toaddub wrote:The clone tool can also be used to remove the people, especially the person holding the rings with no distortion on the 2 rings. If you look at the picture above the 2 rings are distorted by using seam carving.

I don't know which "picture above" you're speaking of, because there are a bunch of them. And you don't need to use any true clone tool to remove the person on the rings. It can be done much better with content aware image fill tools - but NOT content aware scaling tools, because as stated that's not their main function.

toaddub wrote:I have some photos that have the wrong date stamped on the picture by the camera, and I'm hoping that seam carving would be able to remove the date, without distorting the rest of the important image, or change the aspect ratio. I'm hoping to avoid using the clone and healing brush tool because that would be very tedious task and might not look good.

Once again, that's NOT the job of content aware scaling tools. It's the job of content aware fill tools. I've used Image Fill for that for some years with great success - but as I said the newer content aware fill tools would likely be even better at it because of more development. Remember: The main purpose behind a content aware scaling tool is to be able to change the aspect ratio of an image without distorting content, and of course your goal is to not change the aspect ratio. So you must use a fill tool.

toaddub wrote:Take a look at some of the content-aware fill tool videos.

You'll note that you said to take a look at content aware "fill" tools. Well, this thread is about VSO's content aware "scaling" software, which is not a fill tool. You have to get your mind attuned to the fact that they are both tools that have different algorithms optimized for different results even if - in the process - the scaling tool might sometimes also do what the fill tool is optimized for - i.e., remove objects. But it cannot do that without rescaling/resizing!

I should add that I am already aware of the available fill tools in the products of those links you provide, and also of the Content Aware Scaling tool in CS4, because I have CS4 and have actually used the latter. I find the options available in the VSO product (other than its inability to save in lossless format) more versatile.

I hope that explains the differences between the tools in a better manner than my previous post.

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Re: Seam carving free download software and demos

Postby Punk074 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:10 am

Thanks for letting me know some other good stuff))) Your info is very valuable for me!!! I appreciate it a lot... :D
Punk074

Return to Extra Tools and how-to's