Save result to external drive & play on DVD player

discussions about ConvertXtoDVD latest versions, avi to dvd video converter software, burns videos from your PC to watch on your DVD with menus and subtitles.

Moderators: Cougar_II, ckhouston, JJ, Claire, Forum admin

Save result to external drive & play on DVD player

Postby Shaddy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:52 am

I recently bought 1Tb external drive and would like to copy converted movie from ConvertXtoDVD to my external drive. I've tested previously by copying the movie file to the drive, but when I play it on DVD player, it automatically play and without the subtitle.

Can anyone tell me how to make a single DVD file that can be copied to my external drive, so that I can connect the external drive to my DVD player?

Thanks,
Shaddy
Shaddy

Re: Save result to external drive & play on DVD player

Postby ckhouston » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:13 pm

A DVD contains several files that cannot be converted to a single file without losing a lot of information like subtitle colors, etc.. You can copy the converted VIDEO_TS folder to that hard drive and see if your DVD player will play it.

I've tested previously by copying the movie file to the drive, but when I play it on DVD player, it automatically play and without the subtitle.

Did you set your player to display subtitles?
ckhouston

Postby Tattoo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:05 am

I'm curious to know how that would work with a DVD player? Currently have a DVI2HDMI cable from my video card connected to my wide-screen to watch movies from my hard drive but am curious to know how you use your DVD player to do this? How do you hook the DVD player to the computer and why would you use the DVD player? Can you use the DVD player remote this way? Is that why you do it? I'm guessing one reason would be to save money on disks but I don't understand how it can be connected to work.

Thanks...
Tattoo

Postby Shaddy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:15 am

ckhouston wrote:A DVD contains several files that cannot be converted to a single file without losing a lot of information like subtitle colors, etc.. You can copy the converted VIDEO_TS folder to that hard drive and see if your DVD player will play it.

I've tested previously by copying the movie file to the drive, but when I play it on DVD player, it automatically play and without the subtitle.

Did you set your player to display subtitles?

I did what you mentioned. I've copied VIDEO_TS folder to my drive, connected it to my DVD player and when i turn it on, it automatically play without subtitle.

My DVD player set to display subtitles.
Shaddy

Postby Shaddy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:23 am

Tattoo wrote:I'm curious to know how that would work with a DVD player? Currently have a DVI2HDMI cable from my video card connected to my wide-screen to watch movies from my hard drive but am curious to know how you use your DVD player to do this? How do you hook the DVD player to the computer and why would you use the DVD player? Can you use the DVD player remote this way? Is that why you do it? I'm guessing one reason would be to save money on disks but I don't understand how it can be connected to work.

Thanks...

Hehe...not remotely. Usually I convert the movie file to DVD format file the burn it down on a DVD disc. I'm thinking if I could save the converted files to a external drive because my DVD player have USB slot on it. I doing this so that I don't have to burn anymore. Do I have to buy a product like WD TV to be able to do this?

Thanks
Shaddy

Postby ckhouston » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:17 pm

It looks like DVD players play files from the USB port differently.

My player will play almost any kind of file from the USB port except DVD files. But it does automatically play the subtitles in a srt file that is named the same as a video file. Those subs are displayed at the player's default location and in default color though since there is no info in the video or sub file that sets those properties.
ckhouston

Postby Tattoo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:52 pm

Hehe...not remotely. Usually I convert the movie file to DVD format file the burn it down on a DVD disc. I'm thinking if I could save the converted files to a external drive because my DVD player have USB slot on it. I doing this so that I don't have to burn anymore. Do I have to buy a product like WD TV to be able to do this?

I understand now. Thanks. I don't think mine has a USB port on it. It's not that old but not that new either.

If you're able to view them thru your DVD player, why even bother converting them then? Unless you're just wanting a menu. I just view them thru my tv using Media Player Classics myself. I only convert them when someone else wants the movie because they don't have a set-up like I do and use there DVD player to view movies.
Tattoo

Postby ckhouston » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:06 pm

A USB port on the DVD player does allow you to play most downloaded files directly. Some may still want to convert to DVD though for family members so they can just put the DVD in and play it. And each player does treat the USB playback differently so some pecularities may not be acceptable.

Anyone considering hooking an external hard drive to a player USB port should be careful though. Those ports are low power and intended mainly for flash memory devices. So check your external drive power requirements to make sure the player port delivers enough power.
ckhouston

Postby JJ » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:58 pm

If player plays file then selecting subtitles with remote should turn them on.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
JJ

Postby morean51 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:55 am

it depends on the dvd player configuration and the type of files it can play
morean51

Return to ConvertXtoDVD old version 3.x