New ConvertXtoDVD 5

Soporte tecnico para los software VSO : ConvertXtoDVD, CopyToDVD, PhotoDVD, Blindwrite y Image Resizer

Moderators: amatm, Annelise, Forum admin

Re: New ConvertXtoDVD 5

Postby stuartnz » Sat May 19, 2012 1:02 am

A year has gone quickly. When I bought V4 I hoped that V5 would be out before my licence expired. Since I've just renewed my V4 licence half an hour ago, I hope now that V5 will come out THIS year now, it would be nice to have it before this licence also expires.
stuartnz

Postby Klaasman » Sat May 19, 2012 3:24 am

ONLY 4 developers? Is this company run from a garage or basement? No wonder its taking so long. We should have had a "Convert-X-to BLU-RAY" out by now.... Forget V5
Klaasman

Postby JoeB » Sat May 19, 2012 4:23 am

Chill out folks. :-)

If, in fact, VSO has only 4 programmers (compared to, say, the multitudes that Adobe, Nero, etc., might have), these programmers have provided the best consumer level DVD converter software available on the market - and at an extremely attractive and affordable price. If they hadn't done so, then you complainers wouldn't even be here but would be populating the forums of the developers of programs that you thought provided a better quality product that you would be using instead.

Representatives of VSO have admitted that perhaps they were premature in suggesting an earlier release date of v.5 than they have been able to meet. So the first thing to do is accept that apology from them and show a bit of maturity and just get over it.

On top of that, VSO is one of the few companies that actually pays attention to requests from customers for additions and add-ons to future releases. I have been with this forum for years and have see the multitude of requests. With v. 5, VSO is doing their best to accomodate many of those requests. But to do so requires building an almost new program while ensuring that they maintain the quality conversions for which they are so well known. And the posts we've seen indicate that they are adding a whole bunch of new functionality based on those requests, not just a few little updates.

Have any of you seen the latest Photoshop CS6 release, which costs hundreds of dollars? About the only new stuff is a bit more "content aware" stuff - nothing that any CS5 or even CS4 user couldn't do anyway albeit with perhaps a bit more effort - (and yes, I've tried it so I do know from experience).

On the other hand, VSO is planning to introduce v.5 with one heck of a lot more additonal functionality than v.4 had, all of it based on requests from consumers, and at a price point that other companies couldn't afford to match for the quality of output that ConvertX provides. And, because of the delay, they have already indicated that they are extending their already reasonable upgrade policy.

So can we stop with the whining already?

If you think there is a better program for its purpose already available at a comparable price, just go and use it and please populate their forum with your comments.

On the other hand, if you think that ConvertX provides the best quality output at its price point for your needs, then please just be patient until the next version finally arrives and stop complaining about its release date. Complaining and whining isn't going to make the programming for the next release any better or any faster, because VSO will (IMHO) continue their policy of trying to produce the best that they can before releasing it.

I'm an older guy. But when I was younger and raising a family I made sure my kids learned at least one rule: If you want something, ask politely and we'll discuss it and do the best we can. On the other hand, whining, complaining and stamping of feet would ensure a lack of attention because I had more important stuff to attend to, like real life.

Just a thought.

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby JoeB » Sat May 19, 2012 4:42 am

Klaasman wrote:ONLY 4 developers? Is this company run from a garage or basement? No wonder its taking so long. We should have had a "Convert-X-to BLU-RAY" out by now.... Forget V5

Apple Computers was started in a garage. What have you done from yours?

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby ckhouston » Sat May 19, 2012 12:26 pm

Bravo JoeB. I intended to stay out of this discussion but can't resist anymore.

If I didn't know better, I would think many of the complainers own stock in VSO and have the right to complain or make demands by exerting pressure. Some even seem to be trying to rescue VSO from imminent ruin.

Annelise said VSO has never had more than 4 developers so why is that an issue now, what was your opinion of VSO development before learning that? i personally think they have done a great job or I wouldn't have used their products since discovering their old free converter years ago.

I have no knowledge of the reason for the delay of ver 5 or updates to ver 4. But I know that VSO has expanded its product line in the last year. And we have been told that the lead developer is rewriting the ConvertX engine. Maybe he is having unexpected problems doing that if he plans to use a similar engine in their new products.

Anyway, ccomplaning can only accomplish one of two things. It can cause VSO to over react and release ver 5 too soon or it can prompt them to reduce the open nature of these forums, I don't know of any other similar forums. We all lose either way so I personally hope VSO will not react to these complaints.
ckhouston

Postby flagpole » Sat May 19, 2012 12:45 pm

there seems to be a bit of a VSO commenter love in going on.

They said it would be out many months ago and it's not even in beta. people are annoyed and frustrated and are making that known. many people have spent their hard earned money in respect of the imminent release; their grievance is legitimate. and I'm sure VSO are big enough to look after themselves.

I for one, as a VSO customer can well do without being talked to like i'm a child by other forum members who for some reason think they have that right. patronising 'calm down dear' comments are off topic, belittling, passive aggressive, and will only make people more annoyed.

i, i'm sure like many others, check this thread regularly for information on the product. the hug-fest is unwelcome, as is being told that i have no right to be annoyed.
flagpole

Postby ckhouston » Sat May 19, 2012 1:20 pm

I am a VSO customer also and am frustrated and annoyed about the delay but my complaining about it would accomplish nothing positive so I don't.

the hug-fest is unwelcome

That is your opinion but inaccurate in my case, I have been a thorn in VSO's side several times. MO is that excessive complaining is nonproductive and therefore unwelcome to me. There have been plenty of complaints already made in this thread, what do you hope to accomplish with additional complaints?
ckhouston

Postby swampdaddy » Mon May 21, 2012 5:07 am

Looking forward to testing the new version 5. Noted more .ts support (common TIVO type format) which has consistently caused me problems in v4. I guess we're all anxious to see what's new.

patience, Swamp Daddy
swampdaddy

Postby chainsaw » Mon May 21, 2012 8:37 am

(Ckhouston) Have you ever heard of the saying “Silence is your friend”? I suggest you give yours a call..
chainsaw

Postby ckhouston » Mon May 21, 2012 1:19 pm

That is good advice for many of us posting here including me, have you called yours lately?

I got very annoyed being told that my opinion was not welcome here, I must have been absent when it was decided that only VSO bashing was acceptable. And I repeat that I think that there has been enough of that (VSO should be very aware of the discontent by now and has indicated so in posts here) and continuing to complain will not make things better for any of us, might even make it worse.
ckhouston

Postby Slickinator » Mon May 21, 2012 6:44 pm

i don't say much .... but wanted to thank you for all your hard work and take care and patients is golden...i would give everyone a big hug even if my moobs squished u lol
Slickinator

Postby ComputerGuru269 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:48 am

Had a thought. Hate it when that happens, makes my head hurt, lol!

But seriously. I've come to realize that EASY full-fledged menu creating/editing in CX2D5 is basically a pipe dream, BUT:

I think CX2D already allows changing most things a typical user might want to change in a template, so maybe asking for a full editor is the wrong way to go.

I think if they added the ability to just move(not modify images) and change highlights for buttons and perhaps thumbnails that are already in a template, this would satisfy most of what users may want to do. I mean you can already alter most, if not all, the text, remove/change images, add/change background audio, etc as long as set to allow it in the template ini. So except for people trying to create NEW templates, is a full-fledged graphical template editor/creator really necessary?
ComputerGuru269

Postby robjie » Tue May 22, 2012 2:00 pm

A question for joeB. What is your position at VSO? I think you did a good job by calming down the many fans of VSO. If you have a high position there, then maybe you can make an estimate of the time left to release the new vso5. Would also like to know what annelise's job is at VSO. Spokeswoman or so?? Anyway employees of VSO take your time cause we're expecting the best DVD authoring program (tool) there is. Have a nice day.
robjie

Postby JoeB » Tue May 22, 2012 7:19 pm

robjie wrote:A question for joeB. What is your position at VSO? I think you did a good job by calming down the many fans of VSO. If you have a high position there, then maybe you can make an estimate of the time left to release the new vso5. Would also like to know what annelise's job is at VSO. Spokeswoman or so?? Anyway employees of VSO take your time cause we're expecting the best DVD authoring program (tool) there is. Have a nice day.

I don't have a position with VSO. Like just about all contributers to these forums I'm just a VSO software user who volunteers time to help others with issues that I might have answers to. Unless you see the VSO logo to the right of a person's post then the poster is a volunteer and not a member of VSO Software.

Sorry, can't tell you what position Annelise holds. :-)

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby JoeB » Tue May 22, 2012 7:27 pm

ComputerGuru269 wrote:Had a thought. Hate it when that happens, makes my head hurt, lol!

But seriously. I've come to realize that EASY full-fledged menu creating/editing in CX2D5 is basically a pipe dream, BUT:

I think CX2D already allows changing most things a typical user might want to change in a template, so maybe asking for a full editor is the wrong way to go.

I think if they added the ability to just move(not modify images) and change highlights for buttons and perhaps thumbnails that are already in a template, this would satisfy most of what users may want to do. I mean you can already alter most, if not all, the text, remove/change images, add/change background audio, etc as long as set to allow it in the template ini. So except for people trying to create NEW templates, is a full-fledged graphical template editor/creator really necessary?

I agree that this would be the best approach to take with a template editor. Just a kind of "drag & drop" that would allow a user to move the thumbnail or a button to at least a somewhat different position so as to make the menu interface more suitable against, for example, a custom background image would be more than enough for my needs (although perhaps I'd add that the ability to drag a corner of a thumbnail to increase/decrease its size would be a nice bonus! :-)

And such an editor wouldn't even have to be incorporated into ConvertX but could simply be a free standalone editor that could open existing template files, allow a person to make relatively easy drag & drop changes to it, and then save with a different name and voila - custom templates! And as you said, lots of the other stuff most people want to do is already available in treeview in ConvertX.

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby ckhouston » Tue May 22, 2012 9:40 pm

Many would also like the ability to move and resize text boxes like Tattoo and ComputerGuru269 have done with some templates. Maybe even add new menu items or at least be able to delete some existing ones.

The approach suggested makes sense. It is the way the couple of menu editors work that I have checked, they store menu parameters in a template file of some kind. CX2D already opens the templates and rewrites them back to the hard drive. However, changes made for a project are currently saved only in a project file, but could also be saved in the templates.

Sounds simple but is much more involved than the template mods we make.

I think the real reason we haven't gotten an editor is that VSO doesn't think it is high priority. There have been a few of us that want an editor very much but VSO probably looks at the demand for all features and considers the effort involved to set priorities. I mentioned before a poll VSO had on their main site that asked which projects people wanted VSO to work on. A menu editor tied for last place with a new media player and there are plenty of good media players already available.
ckhouston

Postby ckhouston » Tue May 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Just a thought (makes my head hurt too ComputerGuru).

VSO staff probably don't have time to check these forums much. Maybe someone could compile some statistics that show the interest custom templates have drawn here, something like number of topics, views and posts, number of downloads, etc.. That's a lot of work but may be what is needed to convince VSO.
ckhouston

Postby Tattoo » Wed May 23, 2012 4:50 am

ckhouston wrote:Just a thought (makes my head hurt too ComputerGuru).

VSO staff probably don't have time to check these forums much. Maybe someone could compile some statistics that show the interest custom templates have drawn here, something like number of topics, views and posts, number of downloads, etc.. That's a lot of work but may be what is needed to convince VSO.

Here's a start ck. I just looked for all the templates I made and posted in the ver3 forum and here's a list of them + the others I posted elsewhere.

I'm tired and have to crash but tomorrow I'll go thru every page of the ver3 forum and find all the others of yours and Coral's and who's ever else' is in there.

Nightie, night

Code: Select all
ConvertXtoDVD Template Editing Tutorial #32
posted - Nov 06, 2010
Downloads - 654

Tattoo's 16:9 Menu Templates - 16:9 iMDB Templates
http://forums.vso-software.fr/tattoo-s-16-9-menu-templates-t14186.html

Tattoo's 16:9 Menu Templates + Double Feature Templates
posted - Sun Aug 10, 2011
Downloads - 826

Triple Feature Templates
posted - Jun 01, 2011
Downloads - 501

16:9 iMDB Templates
posted - Jun 09, 2011
Downloads - 333

Tattoo's Modified Black Mirror templates revamped
posted - Jan 05, 2011
Downloads - 516

Tattoo's iMDB Menu Templates
posted - Jan 30, 2011
Downloads - 348

Prison Break Template
posted - Aug 19, 2009
Downloads - 1412

Modified Black Mirror with 6 Menu Items in the Title
posted - Sep 06, 2009
Downloads - 1105

Modified Black Mirror, All reworked templates plus 1 new one
posted - Aug 14, 2009
Downloads - 1528

Two Tattoo with video (Text) Templates
posted - Sep 11, 2009
Downloads - 975

SixMillion.rar
posted - Nov 01, 2010
Downloads - 439
http://forums.vso-software.fr/extra-unofficial-menu-templates-available-for-download-t6947-160.html#p64829

Necrohated-1 & Necrohated-2 Video Templates
posted - Dec 04, 2010
Downloads - 273
http://forums.vso-software.fr/extra-unofficial-menu-templates-available-for-download-t6947-180.html#p65904

necrohated-3.rar
posted - Dec 05, 2010
Downloads - 127
http://forums.vso-software.fr/extra-unofficial-menu-templates-available-for-download-t6947-180.html#p65935

necrohated-4.rar
posted - Dec 11, 2011
Downloads - 126
http://forums.vso-software.fr/extra-unofficial-menu-templates-available-for-download-t6947-200.html#p66119

Necrohated-5 Border Chapters
posted - Dec 14, 2010
Downloads - 170
http://forums.vso-software.fr/extra-unofficial-menu-templates-available-for-download-t6947-200.html#p66176

knopiczka-1.rar
posted - Jan 17, 2011
Downloads - 110
http://forums.vso-software.fr/extra-unofficial-menu-templates-available-for-download-t6947-220.html#p67459

knopiczka-2.rar
posted - Jan 27, 2011
Downloads - 96
http://forums.vso-software.fr/extra-unofficial-menu-templates-available-for-download-t6947-220.html#p68019

DrunkFatStupid-1 template
posted - Feb 04, 2011
Downloads - 247
http://forums.vso-software.fr/extra-unofficial-menu-templates-available-for-download-t6947-240.html#p68439

DrunkFatStupid-2.rar
posted - Mar 05, 2011
Downloads - 93
http://forums.vso-software.fr/extra-unofficial-menu-templates-available-for-download-t6947-240.html#p69040

WILLIE-2
posted - Mar 05, 2011
Downloads - 123
http://forums.vso-software.fr/extra-unofficial-menu-templates-available-for-download-t6947-240.html#p69040

Tattoo8x.rar
posted - Apr 06, 2011
Downloads - 83
http://forums.vso-software.fr/extra-unofficial-menu-templates-available-for-download-t6947-280.html#p69739

Tattoo

Postby JoeB » Wed May 23, 2012 5:38 am

Thanks for that effort Tattoo! I'll be looking forward to seeing the rest of it when you have time. As for me, I've spent more time in the forums than usual lately only because I've been a bit ill for a couple of weeks (not serious but kinda debilitating :-) so haven't had to do real life stuff (as in "work"), so the computer and forums have been my activity when I felt up to doing stuff. But will be getting back to real life now so might not be around to share the load as much as I'd like to. Still, I'll check in as best I can.

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

PreviousNext

Return to Soporte tecnico