MKV Subs

Help with Bluray Converter and Convert DVD to mp4 and other formats. strip Bluray, convert to Blu-ray or avchd, convert blu ray to mkv, avi, copy DVDs and much more.

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

sokristi

MKV Subs

Post by sokristi »

Hi,

Seem to have a problem with latest version (1.3.0.1). Subs are displayed in black with blue borders with the (latest) VSO media player, but even worse is that with VLC subs are "stacked", i.e. previous subtitles stay on screen when next subs are displayed. If I turn subs off, all subs disappear, but the "stacking" continues when subs are activated again. No such problems with version 1.2.2.8 of the converter.

Regards
Søren
Claire
VSO Team Member

Re: MKV Subs

Post by Claire »

Thanks for your report. I confirm and reported the bug here
http://bugs.vso-software.fr/view.php?id=4893
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Can you tell me if this new beta solves the problem?
http://www.vso-software.fr/download_pro ... erultimate
sokristi

Post by sokristi »

Will do, thanks!
sokristi

Post by sokristi »

Hi,

Seems to not be 100% solved. MKV subs are delayed, by possibly up to a second (no "drifting", delay seems to be the same in the beginning and in the end of the movie), and the "stacking" issue is still visible every now and then, mainly when subs come fairly close to each other ("old" subs are still visible behind the next set, for possibly 1/2 a second or so). Subs appear rather "jagged".

"Burned-in" subs in same movie, converted to (PS3) MP4, appear on time, crisply and nicely rendered, and with no signs of "stacking".

Latest movie tested was "Hot Tub Time Machine", main movie ripped with DVD Fab. Conversion was to HD Ready.Players tested are VLC, WMP and the built in player of MediaPortal.

Conversion to MKV with the freeware software BD2AVCHD is flawless, MKV subs look good, but unfortunately it takes forever ;-]

Regards
Søren
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Hi Søren,

Thanks for your detailed report.

So conclusion we still need to work on timing and stacking of MKV subs? Is this correct?
Is there a particular movie you are testing this with where the problem is very visible?
sokristi

Post by sokristi »

Hi,

Tested once more yesterday (movie :"Battle Los Angeles") Same as with the movie prevíously mentioned, some "stacking" and a delay.

For further confusion (at least to me :-]) I'll want to mention that I also converted a DVD with DVD Converter Ultimate (movie was sci-fi comedy "Paul"). The resulting MKV seems to be in order, no noticable delay and no "Stacking".

Regards
Søren
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

ok thanks for the details
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

I confirm
sokristi

Post by sokristi »

MKV subs still possibly not working properly with 1.4.0.2. Tested with "Battle Los Angeles". It starts with a sequence of subs that are displayed fairly shortly.
With VLC, majority of those subs are not displayed. VLC also skips seconds here and there, for instance min 2.22->2.26.
VSO Media player displays subs fairly correct, only they are black with ugly greenish borders (I want them white, but it doesn't seem possible to change any settings for subs in this player). WMP with DirectVobsub displays subs only occasionally, at random places and sizes (and in black). VLC also "pixelates" the picture every now and then, whereas both VSO MP and WMP display OK.

All three players show the same movie converted to (PS3) MP4 close to perfect, so I believe you may still have issues with the MKV container. Even though the option to turn subs on/off is nice I will for the time being stick to MP4 conversions and refrain from using VLC for playback, hoping that eventually the MKV conversion will work flawlessly.

Thanks for your time
Regards
Søren
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Please let us know if you have problems with vesrion 1.4.0.6.