How many movies can be burned on 1 disc?

old version of ConvertXtoDVD questions and problems (but most solved by using version 3)

Moderators: Cougar_II, ckhouston, JJ, Claire, Forum admin

How many movies can be burned on 1 disc?

Postby mulligasam » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:44 pm

Hi, I just used this program for the first time and was a little confused as to how many movies i can burn on 1 dvd? I tried burning 3 movies on one and it seemed to turn out fine but don't understand why it doesn't show you any limit.i want to go ahead and burn some tv episodes next and would like to know how many i should do or approx how many Mb 1 disc will take.
Also could you explain what it means by dvd-5 or dvd-9 in the options menu?
Thanks!
mulligasam

Postby Cougar_II » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:01 am

Hi,

a DVD5 is made to store 2 hours of video (100% quality).

Several people will add 3 hours without an issue, even up to 4 hours and some still like the quality.

More than 4 will work, but quality will really start to suffer.

So for episodes, try not to add more than 5 x 45 minutes episodes MAX.

The best one to know is YOU.

Add 5 episodes and try, still pretty good, try 6 and see if it's still good looking for YOU.

Else go back to 4 episodes.
VSO Software Golden Membership Proud Owner / VSO Software Beta Tester
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Re: How many movies can be burned on 1 disc?

Postby JoeB » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:59 am

mulligasam wrote:Hi, I just used this program for the first time and was a little confused as to how many movies i can burn on 1 dvd? I tried burning 3 movies on one and it seemed to turn out fine but don't understand why it doesn't show you any limit.i want to go ahead and burn some tv episodes next and would like to know how many i should do or approx how many Mb 1 disc will take.
Also could you explain what it means by dvd-5 or dvd-9 in the options menu?
Thanks!

A DVD-5 is a one-layer, one sided DVD, and a DVD-9 is a dual layer disc which burns on both sides of the disc.

DVD capacity is rated in terms of the hours of playback. A DVD-5 is rated to hold 2 hours of high quality video. However, programs like ConvertX do a good job of compressing video by making scenes with little action or elements less high quality (because you won't notice the difference) and using higher bitrates for scenes with lots of elements and/or action so they look good. So most people find they can put up to 4 hours of video on a DVD-5 and get acceptable quality when played in a standalone DVD player on a regular CRT TV. Quality differences are more noticeable in newer, High Definition TV sets with wide screens, etc.

There has been pretty good evidence presented that indicates that, if only putting about one and a half hours of video on a DVD-5 you can get good quality using the High Quality setting in ConverX. Anything between 2 hours to 4 hours you should use the Medium quality setting, which saves bitrate (quality) for the scenes that need it and conserves it on scenes that doesn't.

Once you get beyond 4 hours of video, you'll likely see some degradation even on an ordinary CRT TV set, but it may still not be too bad depending on what you're converting. For a series of ordinary TV shows, for example, where you might be used to even watching some of them on VHS tapes when you tape the shows yourself, you might be satisfied with the quality of 6 hours on one DVD-5. Going that high, however, you might want to use the Low Qaulity setting in ConvertX (and maybe compare to 6 hours using the Medium Quality setting).

Regards,

JoeB.
JoeB

Re: How many movies can be burned on 1 disc?

Postby skoville » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:39 am

JoeB wrote: and a DVD-9 is a dual layer disc which burns on both sides of the disc.

I know this is 4 years old but, Dual layer discs burn one side. You can buy printable DVD-DL's. Just in case someone else stumbles across this post.
skoville

Return to ConvertXToDVD old version 2.x