DVD will not play

avi to dvd, convertxtodvd support, convertX help, video to dvd, mkv to dvd, divx to dvd, convert video, vso convert, video conversion software, video converter,

Moderators: cedric, ckhouston, JJ, Claire, Phil, felicia, Forum admin

DVD will not play

Postby woodmaker » Sun May 05, 2013 3:16 pm

I have made several conversions of an mp4 file to play on my dvd player however on many occasions after making the conversion the dvd will not play in my dvd player. I am using the same dvds that have had successful conversions but many times after making the conversions they will not play in the dvd player. I have even had a situation where I made a conversion of an mp4 file and the dvd played in the player and when I made a second conversion on another dvd it would not play on the same dvd player.. What am I doing wrong?/
woodmaker

Re: DVD will not play

Postby JoeB » Sun May 05, 2013 3:29 pm

We need the log file of the conversion/burn that does not play. Instruction are in the Forum Rules (link on pink line at top of this page).

Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby nyrB » Mon May 06, 2013 4:15 am

I am having a similar problem. I downloaded a trial version of the latest version of ConvertXtoDVD, but I'm having some fairly consistent problems. I just got a new computer with Windows 7 and a blu-ray player/writer. I want to be able to create DVDs that I can play in any standard player. But no matter what I attempt to write, I can only see it on the computer or my PS3. If I try playing the DVD on a DVD player, it comes up with an error and won't even show the menu. No matter what options I set, the result is the same.

I'm attaching a log of the last session I tried -- just encoding a simple (small) file and burning it to a DVD-RW. I suspect the problem has something to do with the line in the finalization section that reads:

Completed with warning "Code 05 24 00 [Illegal request, Invalid field in CDB]"

I seem to get that warning with every burn but I've no idea what it means, how to correct it, or if it even has anything to do with my problem.
Attachments
Cx5_mainlog_.20130505.210353.586.log
(10.23 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
nyrB

Postby JJ » Mon May 06, 2013 5:13 am

Your example burn had minor error, but there is bigger issue that will cause that disc to be non-playable in many DVD players.
20:59:16.201 Info Total size 100 Mb.,

DVD standard requires that video DVD disc has at least 1Gb of data in it or player should refuse to play it.
Computers will play it without that restriction, as will PS3 and other consoles.

Did you try with bigger burns?
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
JJ

Postby nyrB » Mon May 06, 2013 5:43 am

Yes - the first several attempts were done with about 500 mb of data.

I tried with several DVD-RW discs (including blank ones) and get that same error (""Code 05 24 00 [Illegal request, Invalid field in CDB]"). However, I tried with a regular DVD-R, did not get the error, and it played just fine. I am now thinking my Blu-Ray burner is somehow incompatible with these DVD-RWs.
nyrB

Postby nyrB » Tue May 07, 2013 3:15 am

followup:

After doing a lot of experimenting, I was successful burning to a DVD-RW by creating an ISO with ConvertXtoDVD and then burning the ISO to a DVD with a different application. Even burning the ISO with ConvertX did not work. This strongly suggests the culprit is ConvertX somehow. Wish I knew why.
nyrB

Postby JJ » Tue May 07, 2013 5:02 am

nyrB wrote:followup:

Even burning the ISO with ConvertX did not work. This strongly suggests the culprit is ConvertX somehow. Wish I knew why.

CxD is not burning ISO, it creates a file that is in ISO format.
Then again, you said you tried with 500Mb data - was that output size? If yes, then even that is not enough to be in DVD standards.
Most likely your problem is not due total disc size, but it is one possible issue and in cases like this only option is to test everything.
JJ

Postby nyrB » Tue May 07, 2013 7:48 am

JJ wrote:CxD is not burning ISO, it creates a file that is in ISO format.

Not sure if we're talking cross-purposes here, but to be clear what I meant was that I created an ISO file using CxD. I was able to successfully create a DVD using another product (Alcohol 120%) with that ISO file. But when I tried to burn a DVD-RW in CxD using that same ISO image file (which is an option in CxD), I got the same error as if I had just directly burned the DVD without doing the middle step of creating an ISO file.

Then again, you said you tried with 500Mb data - was that output size? If yes, then even that is not enough to be in DVD standards.

no, that was the total size of the files which I attempted to create a DVD with. In total, they amounted to an hour and a half of video. the iso file that got created was 2.6 gigs in size.
nyrB

Postby JJ » Tue May 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Ok, then this needs to be tested a little more.

You can burn to DVD-R and DVD+R but not to DVD-RW or DVD+RW ?
JJ

Postby nyrB » Tue May 07, 2013 1:20 pm

JJ wrote:Ok, then this needs to be tested a little more.

You can burn to DVD-R and DVD+R but not to DVD-RW or DVD+RW ?

I only have DVD-RW and DVD-R discs so I can only say for sure about them. I tried burning a DVD-RW of various sized files about 10 times using 4 different discs (2 of which were blank when I started) and consistently got that error during finalization and a disc that would not play in a standard DVD player. I tried burning one DVD-R and it worked perfectly the first time.

And just to add, I was able to repeat my experiment. Despite repeated failures burning DVD-RWs during the finalization phase in ConvertX, I was able to write the disc image (created by ConvertX) to the same DVD-RW disc using Alcohol 120% with no issues.
nyrB

Return to ConvertXtoDVD 5