DVD to 720p MKV conversion 700MB

Help with Bluray Converter and Convert DVD to mp4 and other formats. strip Bluray, convert to Blu-ray or avchd, convert blu ray to mkv, avi, copy DVDs and much more.

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

BollywoodDJ

DVD to 720p MKV conversion 700MB

Post by BollywoodDJ »

After googling the internet for a few days i purchased DVD Converter Ultimate 2.1.1.25 yesterday.

Over the years I have come many films on the internet in the MKV format.
The 720p picture quality is amazing and that the file size is always 1GB or less.

So i bought this product so i could convert my DVD collection to MKV files.
However when i attempt to convert to a file size of 1GB or less,
I am told 'The target size you have entered is too low'
The first 2 hours movie i attempted only allowed me to convert to a 2.5GB file to get a good quality picture?

I am a little bit lost? Have i bought the wrong product? How do others manage to record a whole film in 720p MKV to fit a 700MB data CD?
Im sorry if this question has been asked before, many thanks for your help in advance.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Re: DVD to 720p MKV conversion 700MB

Post by JJ »

Check those releases again, many of those are 720 pixels wide but not 480 or 576 pixels high, so they are only DVD quality.
Some do have 1280 pixels width (as should be with 720p standard) but height is still a lot less.
There is also a lot of factors that affect size of finished conversion so it is not so simple to fit any movie to 700Mb.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hi BollywoodDJ,

For sure 720p format give a really good video quality, but converting a DVD video file (720x576 pixels) to 720p format (1280x720 pixels) will not improve final quality.
The video will be upscaled, but the quality will stay the same.
If you convert your old VHS movies to Blu-ray format (1920x1080), only the final file size will be increased, not the quality...
If you want to convert your DVD Video to mkv format, I suggest you to create your custom profile and selecting 720x576 as final resolution.
You can try the MKV low resolution too, able to fit a (short) movie in a file shorter than 1Go.

Regards,
BollywoodDJ

Post by BollywoodDJ »

Thank you for your replies. This is all an education for me.

I will attempt to create a custom profile to create a smaller finished file.

Another quick question:-

So I can lengthen the time for the conversion process to obtain a smaller file?
If so what option allows me to increase the process time?

Many thanks

BDJ