copy Blu-ray disc with Blindwrite BD-ROM to BD-R *update

1:1 copy and backup, Copy Blu-ray, CD, DVD, BD-RE disks

Moderators: Cougar_II, cedric, Forum admin

copy Blu-ray disc with Blindwrite BD-ROM to BD-R *update

Postby admin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:04 pm

the newest version Blindwrite 6.1.x supports Blu-ray disc copy.
However Blindwrite is an exact copy tool, it means it will backup 1:1 the disc existing to a new blank blu-ray.

if you want to convert a blu-ray / m2ts / avcdhd to DVD , Download ConvertXtoDVD

if you plan to do a backup a blu-ray disc ( blu-ray is just a storage media, it can be movies, data, games etc.. ) you will need a decrypter such as AnyDVD HD. First Download AnyDVD HD and then Download Blindwrite 6.1+

Things to know before doing a copy.
Some Blu-ray disc can be single or double layer, it means than the data size can be below or more than 25Gb ( a single layer typical capacity )

Blu-ray media can be BD-R or BD-RE
R means you write them one time only, and RE means rewritable ( like RW for CD or DVD )
we recommand to use RE because the blank BD media are very expensive. this way you will be able to test.

During our test, we have outlined how important again the brand of the blank Blu-ray is important,
we have tested several Blu-Ray burners
LG,
Plextor,
Pioneer
internal laptop drives from Matsushita BD-MLT UJ-225S

BD-R and BD-RE from Verbatim worked great
TDK fails to burn or to playback on a Playstation PS3 Blu-ray player
Panasonic BD-RE worked great too.

I will complete later the exact Media ID for the Blu-ray disc

Another point to consider is the size of a single layer BD-ROM which can be bigger than a BD-R or BD-RE writable media, which prevents to make some copies with some sample.

Double Layer works, but it is very difficult to find Double layer Blu-ray disc

Samsung Blu-ray player worked to playback BD-R / BD-RE despite the documentation of the player says it is not supported.[url][/url]
admin
Site Admin

Postby lapinou » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:06 pm

a kind update, I did a backup with a TDK BD-RE double layer ( 50 Gb ) with Blindwrite and AnyDVD hd , and the results play fine in a Sony S350

you need both a BD-RE DL and a compatible blu-ray burner ( I used LG ) but no update was required with Blindwrite to do the job of the extraction and burning ( I used .iso )
lapinou

Blu-ray movie copying

Postby mikevanh » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:39 pm

lapinou wrote:a kind update, I did a backup with a TDK BD-RE double layer ( 50 Gb ) with Blindwrite and AnyDVD hd , and the results play fine in a Sony S350

you need both a BD-RE DL and a compatible blu-ray burner ( I used LG ) but no update was required with Blindwrite to do the job of the extraction and burning ( I used .iso )

I downloaded movie files from my bluffalo blu-ray read and write, on to my HD using anydvd. I used the copytodvd blu-ray write option, and was able to copy the movie GONE IN 60 SEC using selective files, playlist etc. The picture was great, but no sound. I included the sound files, but they weren't transfered to the video. You used a 50Gb BR-RE DL disc to make the copy. I made the video with a 25Gb BD-RE blank. Isn't it possible to eliminate certain unnecessary files to make the video fit on a 25Gb disc? Why is it that movies on a 25Gb disc, are larger in file size when extracted? Is it possible to use a blu-ray reader, and using anydvd to decrypt, then use Blindwrite to copy the movie directly to another blu-ray burner, eliminating the downloading to the HD? I suppose all this will be eliminated someday when Clonedvdblu-ray or dvdfabblu-ray is written. I tried to discuss the blu-ray files and burning with a Vso software tech in Spain, but of course his mind is far ahead of mine. He did say that they were unable to decode blu-ray sound files onto their programs as of today. If you were able to achieve movie and sound, could you give me some pointers? I have tried to burn several movies using selective files, with the result of getting a data disc most of the time. Thanks, mikevanh.
mikevanh

Postby lapinou » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:44 pm

hi

I don't understand the description of the step you did.
you can copy directly from the blu-ray reader to the blu-ray writer using AnyDVD but you need both blu-ray devices.
you should save the movie first to HDD as .iso file and then write it back using blindwrite.
do you mean the movie file was too big to be written again.
about the sound issue, I don't know as I don't see your log and still don't know what are the exact steps you followed.
lapinou

Postby mikevanh » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:12 pm

lapinou wrote:hi

I don't understand the description of the step you did.
you can copy directly from the blu-ray reader to the blu-ray writer using AnyDVD but you need both blu-ray devices.
you should save the movie first to HDD as .iso file and then write it back using blindwrite.
do you mean the movie file was too big to be written again.
about the sound issue, I don't know as I don't see your log and still don't know what are the exact steps you followed.

What I usually try to do is use BDinfo to find the appropriate files I need, and then drop them in the CopytoDVD burn selection. About the sound issue, I use the sound files included on the BDinfo list, to place onto the CopytoDVD blu-ray burn selection. What I was saying about the file size, is when I download a movie using AnyDVD on to my HDD, the files are usually larger than they were on the original 25Gb movie disc. One more question, when copying a movie directly from a reader to another burner, will the file size always fit? Thanks, mikevanh.
mikevanh

Postby lapinou » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:19 pm

I would really recommand to make it simple for the beginning,
do you have BD-RE 50 Gb ?
what is the size of the .iso if you get all files.
if you remove some files, I m not sure about if you will keep the authoring intact and if you will be able to playback. for now, I really recommand only the real 1:1 copy using .iso
the size of the iso can be different, but what is important is the reporting of the program if the project will fit ( and then the size of the blank BD-R(E) disc )
lapinou

Postby mikevanh » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:44 pm

lapinou wrote:I would really recommand to make it simple for the beginning,
do you have BD-RE 50 Gb ?
what is the size of the .iso if you get all files.
if you remove some files, I m not sure about if you will keep the authoring intact and if you will be able to playback. for now, I really recommand only the real 1:1 copy using .iso
the size of the iso can be different, but what is important is the reporting of the program if the project will fit ( and then the size of the blank BD-R(E) disc )

I don't have any 50Gb blank discs. I have several blank 25Gb discs, with a single 25Gb BD-RE for experimental purposes. 50 Gb discs are were expensive. What I can't understand is how a blu-ray movie distrubutor can copy movies for retail, and sell at the price they can sell for. Most of the files I down load from different movies are usually from 18Gb to 60 Gb in file size. Of course most of the blank 25Gb discs are usually 1 or 2 Gb smaller than 25GB. To make an .iso from the udf files on the HDD, what is the best program to use? I have used imgburn, but I always get a data disc. If you ever use Yahoo messenger, you can locate me at mikevhola. Thanks, mikevanh.
mikevanh

Postby lapinou » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:48 pm

blindwrite can make the .iso too, select iso in the profile.
I did all my tests with Blindwrite, the only issue is the size of the disc which limits to burn them back
we will release new version to do file authoring but it will be in a few weeks
lapinou

Postby lapinou » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:03 pm

we will offer a new version of CopyToDVD which will let you do the basic authoring task ( be able to burn a playable blu-ray structure and remove some useless files as Bonus )
lapinou

Postby GMC_Truck » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:31 am

Funny! I downloaded a trial and tried to convert a m2ts to DVD but the Program keeps telling me there is a problem something, something.
I figured it may be do to the fact that I’m running in X64 so I decided to go ahead and install your software on my other PC as well.
Still no luck!! Same as before. It’s a NO GO!
PS: The Movie is “Traitor” It was ripped with AnyDVD HD and is playing fine on my PC.
GMC_Truck

Postby lapinou » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 pm

you just have the m2ts ?
and what target format you would like ? DVD or Blu-ray
Blindwrite can do only an exact copy of an existing disc, and you need the target disc to be at least as big as the original.

if you use copytodvd , you still need a valid structure of a blu-ray disc ( it means the BDMV / Stream folder
lapinou

Postby GMC_Truck » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:22 pm

I did have that Folder but still no go!
I own the BD so I can replicate at any time!
GMC_Truck

bluerays

Postby SCOOTTN1 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:20 am

Hello, I'm using anydvd have the m2ts folders on my hard drive, what software can I use to get them back to disc?
SCOOTTN1

Postby lapinou » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:28 pm

you can burn them back with CopyToDVD ( version from 4.2.2.6 ), you just need to right click on the folder ( stream ) containing all the .m2ts and it will detect it is a blu-ray folder movie and burn it with the appropriate options.

if you look at a web site to order Blu-ray DL ( 50 Gb ) , I can suggest http://www.ketta.com/catalog/bluray-c-73.html
lapinou

Postby briinthesky » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:58 pm

Hi

I have just tried your method of copying using Anydvd and blind write with a 50gb TDK re for test purposes (it took hours!) at the end it said it was successful but my sony 350 would not play the disc.
Any tips on what may have gone wrong ?
I have been unable to find any other re disc to try that are 50gb
Any updated method ?

Regards.
Bc. :wink:
briinthesky

Postby Cougar_II » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi,

Out of curiosity, what firmware are you running on your Sony S350 ?

Most of them are sold with firmware 7.x.07

There is an official 7.x.10 firmware, which probably fix lots of stuff and enables BD-Live on it.

And then there's an unofficial (It was recalled) v7.x.13 which I am running.

Does the BD Player detect the media at all ?
Get any errors, messages ?
VSO Software Golden Membership Proud Owner / VSO Software Beta Tester
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Postby lapinou » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:00 pm

can you play the disc with PowerDVD on the computer ? I have also a s350 ( europe version and I will look at the firmware tonigh ) and also the TDK BD-RE DL as I didn't find any others ( we should receive verbatim BD-RE DL in a couple of weeks )
lapinou

Postby briinthesky » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi
The firmware is the 7.x.10 update which I did after I got it.
I will try it with pdvd see what happens.

One thing I noticed, blind write formatted the disc before doing anything else and the disc now says it is 45gb not 50gb and the iso is 47.3gb but as I said before blind write said it was successful.

Bc.
briinthesky

Postby lapinou » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:29 pm

I confirm, the size is normal, that's all the difference between the marketing point of view and the technical point.
It is still an issue because even with a BD-RE DL, you can't make copies of very large BD-ROM when the size is really the limit of the 50Gb

I heard some other disc that TDK can have a little bit larger size.
lapinou

Postby briinthesky » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:38 pm

Hi

I had anothr go last night using blind write and although it took 4hrs in total there was a successful outcome, and it played on my S350.

Is it possible to just pick the main movie parts and place them on either a 25gb or 50gb (depending on file size) ?
I noticed in another post it was mentioned that copytodvd could write mts files.

Thanks for all the info
Bc.
Ps I think untill the blank disc's drop in price (especially 50gb) it is cheaper to buy a second original disc as a backup!
briinthesky

Next

Return to BlindWrite