Conversion Quality

Help with Bluray Converter and Convert DVD to mp4 and other formats. strip Bluray, convert to Blu-ray or avchd, convert blu ray to mkv, avi, copy DVDs and much more.

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

Fump

Conversion Quality

Post by Fump »

Hi,

I´ve just noticed that the Picture of the converted Bluray to DVD5 is flickering a bit.
Especially where high contrasts are:
like in white text on a black background or in an windowframe with light frame and dark glass.
And I found a moire effect on the tiles of a roof.
Do I have to get used to that or is it improvable?
0xdeadbeef

Re: Conversion Quality

Post by 0xdeadbeef »

As far as I remember, a linear scaler is selected by default for downscaling, which is obviously a pretty bad idea as it will cause aliasing artifacts. Selecting a better scaler (e.g. Lanczos) will reduce aliasing but also increase conversion time.
About the flickering: VSO has a long history of not considering/implementing the frame order in MPG2 streams correctly. I reported this back in 2009 for ConvertX2DVD and it was not fixed for at least four years (assuming that it was now really fixed in CX2DVD 5).
http://forums.vso-software.fr/wrong-han ... t9767.html

This being said I also observed interlace flickering in the DVDs created by Blu-Ray Converter Ultimate and reported this back in the beginning of 2011:
http://forums.vso-software.fr/blu-ray-t ... 13343.html
Dunno if this was ever investigated by VSO or if this also take four years to fix.

Of course it depends on your player if the deinterlacing artifacts are visible at all. Some players don't trust the interlacing or frame order information and automatically select the best deinterlacing approach by analyzing the actual (half) frames.
Fump

Re: Conversion Quality

Post by Fump »

Sorry,

I now found out what the flickering was about.
My software BluRay DVD Player was responsble for the errors.
I was irritated because it only happend to VSO converted files.

The quality is nice now :D