Conversion Is Small And Lags With Hardware Decoder

Help with Bluray Converter and Convert DVD to mp4 and other formats. strip Bluray, convert to Blu-ray or avchd, convert blu ray to mkv, avi, copy DVDs and much more.

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

attackcenter

Conversion Is Small And Lags With Hardware Decoder

Post by attackcenter »

Hi,

I ripped the Blu Ray movie "Fed up" to ISO with Anydvd. I have a recently bought "very fast" + custom built $4000 computer with almost latest Nvidia Video Card. I converted with Blu Ray Converter Ultimate 3 with the following settings:

1. AVI (H264+AC3)

2. Used two pass encoding and the best video quality settings (slower)

3. Used Resize Filter for Upscaling: "Windowed sinc Lanczoz (VSO) and Resize Filter for downscaling "Windowed sinc Lanczoz (VSO). I left fit method at: letterbox

4. I turned off Hardware encoding for my video card because I already have a fast CPU and was told that turning it on would lower output quality because some optimizations would not be implemented when its turned on.

5. Maxiumum peak level: 3.0b and set to always normalize. (is this okay?)

6. No forced subtitles.

7. Target File Size: "No Size Limit, use quality factor" and that was left at default in the middle.

8. audio conversion: left chekced at "automatic", "convert DTS to AC3 (better compatibility) was left checked, and "allow 25p, 30p. 50p, and 60p framerates (less compatible) was left checked.

9. BD Target Size: BD-25 (23000 MB)

10. Everything else left at default

The issues:

1. So, when I say the file size is small: I regard the minimum "gold standard" for movie sizes are Itunes 1080p movies, which rang from 3.8gb to 5gb. The output size was a small 2.04gb. I was trying to get the highest quality output and not worry about the file size. Then I was going to fine tune it to a smaller file size later if I needed to. I do realize you can just use makemkv or use Blu Ray Converter Ultimate 3 to a remux (copy). I was of course trying to do the highest quality h264 possible with high quality ac3 audio.

I also expected for there to have been a conversion profile already there that was mkv (h264-AC3). I was suprised that it was missing and only the AVI (H264-AC3). How are my settings in general for the highest quality and why is the size so small?

2. The video quality seems good when playing through my hardware decoder using the SMPlayer and speedy when fast forwarding and rewinding. As previously stated I have a fast computer.

When I view the converted "Fed Up" video on my Iphone 6 Plus using the AVPLAYER by EPLAYWORKS, the video at first seems to play okay, but when you fast forward or rewind with your finger the video severely lags with a paused or black screen several seconds before catching up. If you fast forward really far, its too much lag, and will hang there at a black screen as it can't catch up to the video. Then even watching the video, you see some distortion of video at times as it appears to be trying to keep up with the video play. Otherwise, if you just let the video alone its smooth. The strange thing is when you turn off the hardware decoder in AVPLAYER the video plays perfectly. I have many other converted videos on my Iphone 6 plus, but only the Blu Ray Converter Ultimate 3 video demonstrates this behavior.

I would appreciate assistance about what might be causes the issues I mentioned and help with the optimal settings for the highest quality converted output.

AC
attackcenter

Re: Conversion Is Small And Lags With Hardware Decoder

Post by attackcenter »

I decided to try it again. I ripped with all of the previous settings and made the following changes:

1. I kept Target Size to "No Size Limit, use quality factor" and turned the quality slider all the way up. (50% bigger)

2. I included Subtitles.

Result: Once again the file is around the same size at 2gb. (Why so small??) There is pixelation, as there is with the original settings. Also, once again there is a lag with fast forwarding and rewinding. Especially, there is a severe lag with fast forwarding or rewinding a large amount at a time.

Anyone? What are the optimal settings for full h264 quality. Why the lag?

AC
attackcenter

Post by attackcenter »

I tried yet again. I installed beta Blue Ray Converter Ultimate 3.6.0.5, used previous setting on first post, changed target file size to for single file + BD Target size to DVD-9 (7700 MB), and used avi (h264 +ac3).

Results: I ended up with the same 2gb file, still pixelation, and still lag on fast forward/rewind with hardware decoding on AVPLAYER with Iphone 6 plus.

AC
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

Use some other supported container, AVI is very limited.

Best formats for iPhone6:
1. H.264 video up to 1080p, 60 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2/4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
2. MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
3. Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.
Officially, iPhone 6 including other iPhone models can play AVI file with Motion JPEG. But for AVI file with other codecs like Xvid or else, iPhone 6 (Plus) will sit by.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!