BBC iplayer radio

download audio/video streaming

Moderators: Maggie, JJ, alexia, LouisM, Forum admin

TechGirl

BBC iplayer radio

Post by TechGirl »

Since the BBC have been rolling out their new HTML 5 beta version of iplayer, I have been unable to download any radio programmes. I noticed previous posts in this forum raised a similar issue regarding television programmes and were told a revised version of the VSO Downloader would be coming but that no date could be given as yet. That was last year; has there been any progress? It is very frustrating not be be able to downloader all episodes of radio programmes I am following.
I also note in those previous posts was mention of an older version working but I was unable to follow the link given - if indeed an older version of the Downloader will work with the new iplayer, could I have a working url, please?
Benjamin
VSO Team Member

Re: BBC iplayer radio

Post by Benjamin »

I don't think a older version will work, did you try the beta:
http://forums.vso-software.fr/new-versi ... 18961.html
TechGirl

Post by TechGirl »

I didn't see why an earlier version would work either but that was what was posted in some messages from last year.
I've downloaded the beta version. I got a message saying I wasn't entitled to a new licence key so I'm not particularly impressed with that. Nevertheless I clicked the 'Try It' button to test it out. It told me there was a new version avaialble but when I clicked through on the link it only took me back to the place where I downloaded it from so there didn't appear to be any updates despite the message. Ignoring all that, I did play something on BBC iplayer but VSO downloader failed to detect it.
In addition to all this, I am somewhat alarmed at all the warning messages from both Firefox and Kaspersky warning me that the VSO site wasn't safe and that it was attempting to make changes to my settings.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Hello,

Are you saying v4 is working with BBC and not version 5?

I just tried myself with http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0769qsz and 5.0.0.39 and I did not have a problem.

As for the license key you may be entitled to new free key for this new version if your purchase or renewal was less than 1year ago otherwise you will be proposed to renew at a discounted price to get the new key https://www.vso-software.fr/upgrade.php

The new v5 has a new method for "checking for for updates" and we are still ironing out the last issues with this, therefore the problem you encountered trying to find a new version if you were prompted to download one - we are sorry for these problems you faced.

Sometimes Antivirus software has false positive reports about viruses and I think that is what happened in your case. If you are still having an issue with this and everything is up to date please let me know.
TechGirl

Post by TechGirl »

Claire,
My apologies for the delayed response.
I've tried downloading the trial version again this evening and allowing it access via Kaspersky and this time it has worked. I couldn't convert the file but I assume this is a restriction of the trial version. One more question; does this new version now retrieve the file name from iPlayer? The old version hasn't been doing that for quite some while now.

Thank you for your assistance in this.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Glad you got it working.
"does this new version now retrieve the file name from iPlayer?"

You tell us. I don't know off the top of my head.
ZennMystic

Post by ZennMystic »

I tried the link above and I only get it to download if I copy and paste the link into the download box. It will not auto detect media with the new html 5 player. Yes I am using VSO 5.0.0.49

Why no auto detect? Isn't it supposed to? The person above who got it to work never mentioned anything about having to copy and paste the link into the download box.

*UPDATE*

The resulting file downloaded is an unusable mp4 file.... Here is a copy of the log file....
Attachments
downloader_log.20160823.213603.427.log
(20.26 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
ZennMystic

Post by ZennMystic »

Hmmm so how do I get a response????
Benjamin
VSO Team Member

Post by Benjamin »

this server has been recently updated we will check it ASAP.